Nov. 4, 2016
By Robby Hamman
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — For the first time in program history, Notre Dame (19-6, 10-3 ACC) swept the season series against Wake Forest (9-15, 5-8 ACC), recording a straight-set victory on Friday evening in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Notre Dame’s dominance away from home continues, as the Irish improve to 11-1 in away or neutral court matches.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Like in almost every other match in ACC play this season, the Irish got off to a good start, taking the opening set and grabbing a 1-0 lead in the match. Notre Dame built a four-point lead, holding a 16-12 advantage midway through the first. The Demon Deacons responded by winning eight of the next nine points but the Irish wouldn’t be denied, as they finished strong to take the opener 25-22.
The Irish doubled their match lead in the second stanza to 2-0 after taking the set 25-22. The Irish trailed 14-10 before rallying to win 25-22. The match appeared to be heading to a fourth set, as Wake Forest held a 22-17 deep into the third. The Demon Deacons had two set points at 24-22 but Notre Dame stormed back, taking the final four points to win the set 26-24 and complete the sweep at 3-0.
PLAYER OF THE MATCH
Katie Higgins led the team in kills on Friday, posting 11 in the winning effort. The senior hit .500 for the match to lead the Irish, as she had 11 kills on 18 attempts while making just two errors. Higgins also was a force on the defensive side of the net, recording five blocks and three digs.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE MATCH
The Irish held its opponent to a hitting percentage under .100 for the fifth time this season in the win over the Demon Deacons, as Wake Forest hit just .092 on the evening. A big reason for the low percentage was Notre Dame’s block, as the team recorded 12 in the victory. Higgins, Meg Morningstar and Rebecca Nunge all recorded at least five blocks on Friday.
NOTES OF THE MATCH
- With the victory, the Irish pull even with Wake Forest in the all-time series at 3-3.
- The Irish are now 11-1 when playing away from Purcell Pavilion this season.
- The sweep is Notre Dame’s 14th of the season, with eight coming in ACC play.
- Notre Dame has won the first set in 12-of-13 matches.
- Higgins finished in double figures for kills for the eighth time in 2016.
- Taylor Zwickl recorded a season-high 19 assists.
- Ryann DeJarld recorded 10+ digs for the ninth time this season with 13 against Wake Forest.
- Morningstar led the team with six blocks, marking the most the junior has recorded in a match this season.
Notre Dame returns to the court on Sunday at noon, as the Irish take on Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
To purchase tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —
Robby Hamman joined Fighting Irish Media as athletics communications assistant director in September 2016, coordinating efforts for the volleyball and men’s lacrosse program. Hamman is a 2010 graduate of Bethel College, where he earned bachelor’s degrees in sport management and business administration, and earned his master’s degree in business administration from Defiance College in 2013.