April 10, 2011
2011 Notre Dame Baseball
Notre Dame 14, Connecticut 4
April 10, 2011
Frank Eck Stadium – Notre Dame, Ind.
- Notre Dame avoided the series swept and improved to 13-16-1 on the season and 4-5 in the BIG EAST. Connecticut falls to 17-11-1 on the season and 7-2 in conference play.
- The Irish extended their overall series lead with the Huskies to 24-13-1, which includes a 14-8 mark at Frank Eck Stadium.
- The Irish scored 10 or more runs for the second time this season. The Irish crossed home plate 19 times against the Boilermakers of Purdue during the BIG EAST/Big Ten Challenge.
- Notre Dame registered double-digit hits for the eighth time this season.
- Freshman Trey Mancini hit is fifth home run of the season. It is his second home run in his last five games.
- Mancini added a double in the sixth inning for his second hit on the day. It is his 10th multi-hit game on the season.
- Mancini recorded 4 RBI for the first time in his Notre Dame career.
- With his 2-4 day, Mancini is hitting .500 (10-20) over his last five games. He also has a six game hitting streak.
- Senior Herman Petzold knocked in four Irish base runners on the afternoon for his second four RBI game of the season.
- Senior Greg Sherry had three hits on the day. It is his third game this year with three hits. Sherry is hitting .435 (10-23) over his last six games.
- Sophomore Joe Hudson collected his fourth multi-hit game of the season.
- With his two hits on the day, junior Alex Robinson now has three multi-hit games so far this year.
- The Irish opened the contest with five runs in the first frame. The five runs are the most in the first inning of any contest this season.
- The last time the Irish scored five runs in the first inning was on March 4, 2007 against Nebraska in Deland, Florida. Notre Dame went on to upset #7 Nebraska 16-6.
- In the first inning the Irish batted around for the fifth time this season.
- The Huskies’ six errors on the day are the most by an Irish opponent all season.
- For the first game this season the defensive line-up consisted of Hudson behind the plate, Mancini at first, Desico at second, Sherry at third, Doyle at short, Robinson in left, Jagielo in center, Petzold in right and Norton as the DH.
- Also for the first time this season, the Irish line-up went Desico, Sherry, Jagielo, Mancini, Petzold, Norton, Doyle, Hudson and Robinson.
— ND —