April 16, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame women’s golf team travels to Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., this weekend to compete for its first ACC Championship. The action begins tomorrow morning.
The ACC Championship consists of the 11 Atlantic Coastal Conference women’s golf programs. Five of the 11 teams are ranked in the top 25. Head coach Susan Holt understands the quality of play in the ACC and is ready to take it all in.
“Playing in our first ACC Championship is the beginning of a new era in our program,” Holt says. “Being a part of this conference is truly an honor. The ACC women’s golf conference is historically one of the most competitive in the country. This year is no exception with 5 teams ranked in the top 25. Typically ACC teams are in contention to win national championships year in and year out.”
Five golfers will be competing in the tournament for the Notre Dame: senior Kristina Nhim, juniors Ashley Armstrong and Kelli Oride, sophomore Talia Campbell and freshman Jordan Ferreira. Holt has her team prepared for their new role in this prestigious conference.
“This year’s conference championship has us coming in as an underdog, which is a position we are not familiar with,” Holt says. “In the BIG EAST we were always one of the teams favored to win.”
The Fighting Irish are looking to bounce back after finishing 13th of 18 teams in the Rebel Intercollegiate. Sophomore Talia Campbell led Notre Dame posting a score of 221(73-76-72), which placed her tied for 20th individually.
Notre Dame is excited to embrace the competition that the ACC has to offer. Holt understands that they will need to be focused all weekend in order to make their first ACC Championship one to remember.
“While we are coming into this event as a nine seed we are looking forward to the challenge of going head to head with many of the top teams in the country. We have the talent on this team to contend this weekend. We have to collectively execute during all three days,” Holt explains.
- Participating Teams: Boston College, Clemson (No. 12), Duke (No. 3), Florida State (No. 25), Maryland, Miami (No. 28), North Carolina (No. 21), North Carolina State (No. 26), Notre Dame (No. 54), Virginia (No. 23), Wake Forest (No. 17).
- Location: Greensboro, N.C. Sedgefield Country Club (Par: 71; Yardage: 6107)
- Format: Three-day, 54-hole tournament with 18 holes to be played each day.
- Tee Times: Thursday and Friday Tee times start at 8:00 a.m. Saturday Tee times start at 8:30 a.m. Tee times can be found at http://theacc.co/WGolf14Times1.
- Live Coverage: The ACC Digital Network http://theacc.co/WGOLFchamp will have live coverage Friday, April 18 – 2:00-4:00 p.m. and Saturday, April 19 – 12:30-3:00 p.m. Live results displayed at http://theacc.co/WGolfLiveResults.
–Travis Bowman, Media Relations Intern