March 8, 2018
By Megan Golden
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Off to its best start since an NCAA Regional campaign in 2015, the University of Notre Dame baseball team travels to Miami to begin Atlantic Coast Conference play with a three-game series against the Hurricanes (5-7).
The Irish (6-4), who checked in at No. 18 in this week’s RPI, begin a daunting slate of conference matchups over their spring break trip, which is bookended by series against Miami and No. 5 Florida State.
WHAT: Notre Dame vs. Miami
WHEN: Friday, March 9 at 7 p.m. ET
Saturday, March 10 at 7 p.m. ET
Sunday, March 11 at 1 p.m. ET
WHERE: Alex Rodriguez Park (Coral Gables, Fla.)
TV: ACC Network Extra
RADIO: 103.1 FM (South Bend) & WatchNDSeries History: Miami
Notre Dame owns a record of 6-18 all-time against the Hurricanes, including a 5-12 record on the road. The Irish last faced Miami in a one-game series shortened by weather on April 10, 2016, when they fell 10-2 at Frank Eck Stadium.
Notre Dame is 2-4 in its last six matchups with its last win coming on April 20, 2014.
Going Streaking: Nick Podkul
Nick Podkul has hit .432 with six extra-base hits, 11 runs scored and 12 RBI in 10 games this season. Podkul has reached base safely in 16 straight games, dating back to 2017. The second baseman has hit .422 (27-64) with seven doubles, two triples and 17 RBI during that span.
Podkul leads the ACC in on-base percentage (.551) and ranks fourth in the conference in batting average (.432).
- The Irish will continue with their weekend rotation of LHP Scott Tully, LHP Tommy Sheehan and RHP Cameron Junker at Miami.
- Notre Dame leads the conference in fielding percentage (.985) and has just five errors, the fewest of any team in the conference (three teams are tied for second with nine errors).
- Senior Jake Johnson owns a 17-game on-base streak, dating back to last season.
- Freshman Spencer Myers has recorded six multi-hit games in 10 starts this season.
- Nick Podkul is seven RBI away from reaching 50 for his career.
- Notre Dame is 2-1 in true road games this season, with the wins coming at then-No. 9 LSU.
The entire weekend series will be streamed on ACC Network Extra/WatchESPN. Fans can tune in to 103.1 FM (South Bend) or WatchND.
Megan Golden, athletics communications assistant director at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since August of 2016. In her role, she coordinates all media efforts for the Notre Dame baseball and women’s soccer programs. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Golden is a 2014 graduate of Saint Mary’s College and former Irish women’s basketball manager. Prior to arriving at Notre Dame, she worked in public relations with the Cleveland Indians and Chicago White Sox.