March 12, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Wake Forest 81, Notre Dame 69
ACC Championship First Round
March 12, 2014
Greensboro Coliseum – Greensboro, N.C.
– This was Notre Dame’s first-ever Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament game.
– This was the second meeting this season and the third all-time between Notre Dame and Wake Forest … the Demon Deacons lead the series 3-0, including a 65-58 win at Winston-Salem, N.C., on Jan. 25.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started today’s contest … the Fighting Irish are 2-5 this season when that quintet starts … Atkins and Connaughton have started all 32 games this season, while Sherman has notched 31 starts … it was the 13th start for Auguste and the 12th for Vasturia.
– The Fighting Irish only committed six turnovers … it was the seventh time this season Notre Dame had six turnovers or fewer in a game (fourth time in last six games).
– Notre Dame trailed 37-29 at halftime … the Irish are 3-14 this season when down at the intermission.
– The Fighting Irish are 0-2 this season when wearing black uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 509.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the 24th time this season … has 73 career double-figure scoring efforts.
– Dished out a game-high seven assists.
– Was 6-of-6 from the free throw line.
– Moved into a tie with Matt Carroll (1999-2003) for career games played at Notre Dame (133).
– Climbed up to third in Notre Dame history in career assists (589).
Zach Auguste (So./F)
– Tied a season-high total for points with 14 (also scored 14 versus Army and Clemson) … it was the ninth time this season that he’s scored in double-figures (11th time of career).
– Hauled down a team-high nine rebounds.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Scored a team-high 19 points … has scored in double-figures a team-best 25 times this season (48 times in his career) … it was the ninth time this season that he tallied a team-high point total (tied for team lead).
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
– Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the 21st time this season … has 31 career double-figure scoring efforts (30 while at Notre Dame).