Jan. 4, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 79, #7/8 Duke 77
January 4, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
– Notre Dame has won its last five home games against teams ranked in the top-10 of the Associated Press poll …the Fighting Irish are 13-6 at home against teams ranked in the top-10 of the AP poll under head coach Mike Brey.
– This was Notre Dame’s first victory over Duke since a 70-66 overtime win on Feb. 15, 1987, at the Joyce Center …the Blue Devils had won 11 straight against the Irish and lead the series 19-3 …this was the first meeting between the two programs since the second round of the 2002 NCAA Tournament (an 84-77 Duke victory in Greenville, S.C.).
– Today was Notre Dame’s first-ever Atlantic Coast Conference game.
– Duke’s largest lead of the game was 10 points (60-50) with 11:35 left in the second half …Notre Dame then went on a 10-0 run to tie the game with 8:01 remaining.
– With his ninth assist of the game, senior point guard Eric Atkins recorded his 500th career assist …he ranks seventh in Irish history in career assists (502) and is the program’s fifth member of the 1,000-point, 500-assist club …Atkins is the first Fighting Irish player to join that fraternity since Tory Jackson did so during the 2009-10 season …Atkins has 1,167 career points.
– Notre Dame committed just six turnovers and had 18 assists on its 30 made field goals.
– Notre Dame trailed 37-35 at halftime …the Irish are 2-4 this season when trailing at the intermission …Notre Dame has overcome a halftime deficit in each of the last two games.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started today’s contest …it was the first time this season that quintet has started …Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 14 games this season …Jackson has started nine games, while it was the first career start for Auguste …this was the fifth different starting lineup Notre Dame has used this season …the Irish have had a different starting lineup in each of the last three games.
– The Fighting Irish are 4-1 this season when wearing gold uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Steve Vasturia in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 491.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Posted his first double-double of the season and the fifth of his career by tallying 19 points and 11 assists …the assist mark was a season-high for any Irish player.
– Scored in double-figures for the third straight game and for the 10th time this season …has reached double-figures 59 times during his career.
– Notched his 500th career assist.
Austin Burgett (So./F)
– Had a career-high five blocked shots, which are the most for any Irish player this season.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Scored in double-figures (16 points) for the 11th time this season and for the 34th time of his career.
– Shot 6-of-9 from the field, including 2-of-2 from three-point range.
– Collected eight rebounds.
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) – Scored 14 points to up his career-best double-figure scoring streak to 11 games, which is the longest streak for the Irish this season …has scored in double-figures in 12 games this season and 22 times in his career (21 at Notre Dame).
Steve Vasturia (Fr./G) – Scored a career-high nine points (previous high was five against Canisius last Sunday).
– Made a career-best three three-pointers (on five attempts).
– Had a career-high four rebounds.