Dec. 3, 2014
- Michigan State (#19/18) is the first ranked opponent Notre Dame has defeated since the Irish topped #7/8 Duke, 79-77, on Jan. 4, 2014 … the Irish were 0-3 against ranked foes since that victory over the Blue Devils … Notre Dame is 50-73 versus ranked opponents under head coach Mike Brey.
- Tonight was the 95th all-time meeting between Notre Dame and Michigan State and the first since March 18, 1979 … the Fighting Irish lead the series 60-35 … the Spartans had won the last two showdowns prior to tonight … this was Notre Dame’s first win over Michigan State since Feb. 4, 1974 … this was the first meeting at Notre Dame since Feb. 5, 1975 … the Irish are 36-12 against the Spartans in games played at Notre Dame.
- The Fighting Irish now are 265-232-1 all-time versus teams currently in the Big Ten Conference … tonight was the first time Notre Dame played host to a Big Ten team since Dec. 3, 2005 (a 71-67 setback to Michigan).
- Notre Dame is 83-3 in its last 86 non-conference home games.
- The Fighting Irish improved to 1-1 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Notre Dame has scored at least 74 points in each of its first eight games this year … it marks the first time that the Irish have opened a season with eight-straight 74-point or more efforts on offense since the 2001-02 squad also posted eight straight to begin the campaign.
- Jerian Grant (27) and Demetrius Jackson (22) both scored over 20 points (both totals were career-high marks) … it’s the first time Notre Dame has had two 20-point scorers since Jan. 21, 2014, at Florida State (Eric Atkins 24, Garrick Sherman 21).
- The Fighting Irish had four players score in double-figures – Jerian Grant (27), Demetrius Jackson (22), Pat Connaughton (12), Steve Vasturia (12) … Notre Dame has had at least four players reach double-figures in every game this season.
- Notre Dame committed a season-low four turnovers.
- The Irish had season-high marks in made free throws (20) and free throw attempts (25).
- This was Notre Dame’s first overtime contest of the season … Notre Dame is 17-10 in overtime under head coach Mike Brey … the Irish are 7-1 in their last eight overtime contests.
- Michigan State held a 43-26 advantage in rebounds … it’s the first time this season the Irish were outrebounded.
- A three-pointer by Demetrius Jackson in the opening minute of the contest upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 517.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started tonight’s contest … that quintet has started all eight games this season.
- Notre Dame led 37-35 at halftime … the Irish are 7-0 this season when leading at the intermission.
- The Fighting Irish are 2-0 this season when wearing gold uniforms.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the fifth straight game and the seventh time this season (55th time of his career).
- With his fifth rebound of the game, he reached the 600-rebound mark for his career … he is the first Notre Dame player to notch 1,000 points and 600 rebounds since Luke Harangody (2006-10) … Harangody finished his Irish career with 2,476 points and 1,222 rebounds.
- Made his 90th consecutive start and the 93rd overall of his career… has played in all 109 games during his Fighting Irish career.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored a career-high 27 points … his previous high was 26 on two occasions, including the last time out against Chicago State.
- Tonight marked the fourth time in the last five games (second straight contest) that he’s netted 20 or more points … he has scored 20-plus points 18 times during his career.
- Has reached double-figures in points in each of his last 10 games and 73 times during his career, which are the most for any current Fighting Irish player.
- He is the only Irish player to score in double-figures in every game this season.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Scored a career-high 22 points … his previous high was 17 on two occasions, including this season versus Grambling State.
- His 22-point performance marked the sixth straight game and seventh time this season that he has scored in double figures … his six-game double-figure scoring streak is the longest of his career … has netted double-figures 14 times during his career.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the second time this season and the sixth time of his career.