Dec. 21, 2013
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#3/2 Ohio State 64, Notre Dame 61
December 21, 2013
BlackRock Gotham Classic Showcase Game
Madison Square Garden – New York, N.Y.
– Tonight was the 13th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Ohio State and the first since the 2008-09 season … Ohio State holds an 8-5 edge in the series.
– Notre Dame moved to 58-49 all-time when playing inside Madison Square Garden.
– Notre Dame trailed 33-26 at halftime … the Irish are 0-4 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– Notre Dame’s 26 first-half points were its fewest in any half this season … the previous low was 29 in the second half against Stetson (Nov. 10).
– The Irish dropped to 233-209 all-time against teams from the Big Ten Conference, including a 7-12 mark under head coach Mike Brey … Notre Dame is 1-2 against the Big Ten this season.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … the Irish are 4-3 this season when that quintet starts … Atkins, Connaughton, Grant and Sherman have started all 12 games this season … Jackson has started seven games.
– A three-pointer from Eric Atkins early in the second half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 489.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the eighth time this season and for the 57th time of his career.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Netted 13 points … has scored in double-figures in seven straight games, which is a career-best streak … has 10 double-figure efforts this season and 33 for his career. – Pulled down a team-high eight rebounds … it was his sixth game this season with eight or more rebounds.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
-Scored a game-high 18 points … has reached double-figures in points a team-high 11 times this season … has 65 career double-figure efforts, which are the most for any current Irish player.
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
– Scored 14 points to up his career-best double-figure scoring streak to nine games, which is the longest active streak for the Irish … has scored in double-figures in 10 games this season and 20 times in his career (19 at Notre Dame).