Jan. 29, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Virginia 68, Notre Dame 53
January 28, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
– This was the sixth meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Virginia and the first since an 81-76 Cavalier victory during the title game of the 1992 Postseason NIT in New York City … Virginia leads the series 6-1 … this was the Cavaliers’ second-ever trip to Notre Dame … Virginia topped Notre Dame 68-67 on Jan. 26, 1991, inside the Joyce Center.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … this was Notre Dame’s eighth different starting lineup this season … the Irish have used four different starting lineups in the last five games … Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 21 games this season … it was the fifth start of the season for Auguste and the second for Vasturia.
– Notre Dame trailed 34-24 at halftime … the Irish are 2-9 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– The Irish held a 30-26 rebound edge … Notre Dame is 8-3 this season when outrebounding its opponent (all three losses have been in the last three games).
– Notre Dame committed a season-high 20 turnovers (previous high was 17 at Maryland).
– Notre Dame is 4-3 this season when wearing gold uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Steve Vasturia in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 498.
Zach Auguste (So./F) – Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the fourth time this season (first in ACC play) and the sixth time of his career. – Notched a career-high four steals.
Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G) – Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the sixth time this season (second in ACC play).