March 3, 2014
– This was the second meeting this season and the 22nd showdown all-time between Notre Dame and North Carolina … North Carolina leads the series 18-4, which includes five straight wins … the Tar Heels won at Notre Dame, 73-62, on Feb. 8 … this was Notre Dame’s first game at North Carolina since an 85-56 setback on Feb. 23, 1993 … the Fighting Irish are 0-3 all-time at North Carolina … Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey is 0-3 all-time against the Tar Heels.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Austin Burgett (So./F) and Zach Auguste (So./F) started tonight’s contest … this was Notre Dame’s 12th different starting lineup this season … Atkins and Connaughton have started all 31 games this season … it was the 12th start for Auguste, the 11th for Vasturia and the fifth for Burgett.
– This was Notre Dame’s seventh loss this season by five points or fewer (fourth in ACC play) … Notre Dame’s 12 ACC losses were by a combined 95 points (7.9 ppg.).
– Notre Dame trailed 41-27 at halftime … it was the largest halftime deficit of the season for the Fighting Irish … the Irish are 3-13 this season when down at the intermission.
– Notre Dame outscored North Carolina 34-22 in the second half.
– The Fighting Irish are 1-8 this season when wearing blue uniforms.
– Notre Dame finished the regular season 15-16 overall and 6-12 in ACC play … it’s the first time Notre Dame concluded a regular season with a sub-.500 record since the 1998-99 campaign when that Irish squad was 14-15.
– A three-pointer from Austin Burgett in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 508.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored a game-high 21 points … it was the sixth time this season (fourth time in ACC play) that he netted 20 or more points in a game … has scored 20-plus points 10 times during his career. – Scored in double-figures for the 23rd time this season and the 14th time in ACC play … has 72 career double-figure scoring efforts. – Dished out a team-high six assists.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Notched his fifth double-double of the season (second in ACC play) with 17 points and a season-high (and game-high) 13 rebounds … has seven career double-doubles. – Scored in double-figures for a team-best 24th time this season and for the 14th time in an ACC game … has reached double-figures 47 times in his career. – Hauled down 10-plus rebounds for the team-best seventh time this season (fourth time in ACC play) … has reached the 10-rebound mark 10 times in his career. – Scored 13 of his 17 points in the second half.
Steve Vasturia (Fr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the second straight game and the fourth time this season (all in ACC play) … it’s the first time he’s netted double-figures in consecutive games.