Feb. 26, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 65, Georgia Tech 62
February 26, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
– Tonight’s victory was head coach Mike Brey’s 300th win at Notre Dame … he is the third coach in program history (George Keogan & Digger Phelps) to notch 300 victories at the school … Brey is the 17th active head coach to have at least 300 Division I wins at the same institution … Brey is 300-156 during his 14 seasons at Notre Dame.
– This was the second meeting this season and the 10th showdown overall between Notre Dame and Georgia Tech … the Yellow Jackets topped the Fighting Irish 74-69 on Jan. 11 in Atlanta and lead the series 7-3 … Georgia Tech had won five straight against the Irish prior to tonight … this was Georgia Tech’s first visit to Notre Dame since Feb. 24, 1990 (an 88-80 Yellow Jacket overtime victory) … Notre Dame is 3-2 at home versus the Yellow Jackets.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Austin Burgett (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … this was Notre Dame’s 11th different starting lineup this season … the Irish have used a different starting quintet in each of the last three games … Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 29 games this season … it was the ninth start for Vasturia and the fourth for Burgett.
– Notre Dame tied a season-low total of five turnovers … the Irish also had five turnovers versus Cornell and Wake Forest … Notre Dame has only turned the ball over 24 times in the last four games … the Irish only had one turnover in the first half of tonight’s contest.
– Georgia Tech shot 37.3% from the field … it marked the third time in ACC play that Notre Dame held its opponent under 40% from the floor … the Irish also did so against Maryland (.397) and Clemson (.343).
– The Fighting Irish held Georgia Tech’s leading scorer Trae Golden (13.1 ppg) scoreless in 31 minutes on the court … Golden was 0-of-10 from the field.
– Notre Dame outscored Georgia Tech 42-16 in the paint.
– Notre Dame led 33-31 at halftime … the Irish are 12-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
– The Irish trailed 22-11 with 7:42 left in the first half before ending the period on a 22-9 run.
– The Fighting Irish are 10-3 this season when wearing white uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Eric Atkins in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 506.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (17 points) for the 21st time this season and the 12th time in ACC play … has 70 career double-figure scoring efforts.
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
– Tallied a game-high 21 points … has reached the 20-point mark five times this season, including four times in ACC play … has netted 20 or more points six times in his career (all while at Notre Dame).
– Scored in double-figures for the 20th time this season (ninth time in ACC play) … has 30 career double-figure scoring efforts (29 while at Notre Dame) … tonight was his first double-figure effort since the North Carolina game on Feb. 8.
– Shot 10-of-15 from the field.