Feb. 11, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 68, Clemson 64 (2OT)
February 11, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
– This was the first-ever meeting between Notre Dame and Clemson.
– The Fighting Irish have won nine of their last 10 overtime games, including six straight … Notre Dame improved to 16-9 in overtime contests under head coach Mike Brey … this was Notre Dame’s third overtime game this season … the first two overtime wins this season came against Canisius (87-81) and Boston College (76-73).
– This was Notre Dame’s first multiple-overtime contest since the 104-101 five-overtime victory over Louisville on Feb. 9, 2013.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), V.J. Beachem (Fr./F), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … this was Notre Dame’s ninth different starting lineup this season … Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 25 games … it was the ninth start of the season for Auguste and the first career start for Beachem.
– Notre Dame has had three true freshmen earn at least one start this season (Demetrius Jackson 15, Steve Vasturia 5, V.J. Beachem 1) … it’s the first time since the 1999-2000 campaign that the Irish have had three freshmen notch a start in the same season (Matt Carroll 30, Jere Macura 2, Ivan Kartelo 1).
– Clemson shot 34.3% (24-70) from the field … that is the lowest percentage for an Irish opponent in ACC play.
– Notre Dame led 32-27 at halftime … the Irish are 10-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
– Notre Dame is 9-3 this season when wearing white uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Eric Atkins in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 502.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (team-high 16 points) for the 19th time this season and the 68th time of his career … has netted double-figures in 10 of 12 ACC games.
– Played all 50 minutes.
Zach Auguste (So./F)
– Posted his first career double-double with 14 points and a career-high 12 rebounds.
– Scored in double-figures for the second straight game and the seventh time overall this season … has netted double-digits four times in the last five games … has nine career double-figure scoring efforts.
– Played a career-high 38 minutes.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the 19th time this season and the 42nd time of his career … has netted double-figures in nine of 12 ACC games.
– Tied a career-high mark of seven assists, which were a game-high total.
– Played 49 minutes.
Steve Vasturia (Fr./G)
– Reached double-figures (11 points) for the second time this season … has scored in double-figures twice in the last three games.
– Played a career-high 41 minutes.