Jan. 17, 2015
- Today was the 17th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Miami and the second as ACC counterparts … the Irish lead the series 9-8 … Notre Dame fell at Miami, 71-64, last season … this was Miami’s first trip to Notre Dame since Jan. 28, 2004 (a 72-62 Irish victory) … the Hurricanes are 3-5 all-time at Notre Dame … 11 of the meetings in the series occurred when both programs were in the BIG EAST Conference.
- Notre Dame’s 17-2 record matches the best 19-game start for the Fighting Irish since they also began 17-2 during the 1978-79 season.
- The Fighting Irish are 5-1 in conference play for the first time since the 2002-03 squad began BIG EAST action 6-1.
- Notre Dame improved to 64-63 under head coach Mike Brey in games decided by five points or fewer.
- Notre Dame had five players score in double-figures (Grant 23, Beachem 13, Vasturia 11, Connaughton 10, Jackson 10) … this was the seventh time this season (second straight game) the Irish had at least five players score in double-figures.
- The Irish only committed eight turnovers … it signified the 12th time this season (fourth straight contest) Notre Dame had fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
- The Fighting Irish had an assist on 17 of their 27 made field goals.
- Notre Dame shot a season-best 85.7 percent (12-of-14) from the free throw line.
- Miami led 30-29 at halftime … the Irish are 3-1 this season when down at the intermission.
- Notre Dame fell behind 43-31 (its largest deficit of the game) with 15:06 left in the second half … the Fighting Irish responded with a 21-7 run, including a final 9-0 spurt, to take their first lead of the game (52-50) with 9:30 left … the Irish never trailed for the rest of the game.
- The Fighting Irish have overcome 12-point deficits (their largest of the season) in each of the last two games … Notre Dame trailed Georgia Tech by 12 in the first half of Wednesday’s contest in Atlanta.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Bonzie Colson (Fr./F) started today’s contest … this was Notre Dame’s third different starting lineup in the last three games … it was the first career start for Colson, while Jackson, Grant, Vasturia and Connaughton have started every game this season.
- A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 528.
- Former Fighting Irish great Tom Hawkins, whose 1,318 career rebounds rank currently as the oldest record in the 109-year annals of the program, was inducted into the Notre Dame Basketball Ring of Honor at halftime of Saturday’s game. The two-time All-American became the seventh inductee joining six former players–Austin Carr (2011), Adrian Dantley (2012), Skylar Diggins (2013), Luke Harangody (2010) and Ruth Riley (2010)–and former men’s head coach Richard “Digger” Phelps (2014) into the school’s Ring of Honor.
V.J. Beachem (So./F)
- Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the third straight game, which is a career-best streak … has netted double-figures six times this season (three ACC games) and eight times during his career.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Notched his team-best fifth double-double of the season (first in ACC play) with 10 points and 11 rebounds … has 12 career double-doubles, which are the most for any current Irish player.
- Scored in double-figures for the 16th time this season (fifth ACC game) and the 64th time of his career … he has reached double-figures in each of the last eight games, which is a career-best streak and is the longest active streak for the Irish.
- Has hauled down 10 or more boards a team-best six times this season and 16 times for his career.
- Made his 101st consecutive start and his 104th career start overall … has played in all 120 games during his Notre Dame career.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Netted 20-plus points (a game-high 23 points) for a team-best sixth time this season (second time in an ACC game) … has scored 20 or more points 20 times during his career.
- Scored in double-figures for the 17th time this season (fourth time in an ACC game) … has 82 career double-digit efforts.
- Shot 8-of-10 from the floor.
- Dished out a game-best eight assists.
- Played in his 100th career game.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the 16th time this season (fifth time in an ACC play) … has reached double-digits in points 23 times during his career.
- Handed out four assists and committed just one turnover … has only two turnovers in the last four games.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the ninth time this season (third time in an ACC game) and the 13th time of his career … has reached double-figures in each of the last two games.