Feb. 8, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
North Carolina 73, Notre Dame 62
February 8, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
– This was the 21st meeting all-time between Notre Dame and North Carolina and the first since a 102-87 Tar Heel victory during the title game of the 2008 Maui Invitational … North Carolina leads the series 17-4, including four straight wins … this was the first meeting at Notre Dame since the 1993-94 season … the Irish are 1-4 at home against the Tar Heels … Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey is 0-2 all-time against North Carolina.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started today’s contest … it was the fourth straight game and fourth time overall this season that the Irish have used this starting lineup … Notre Dame is 1-3 when this lineup starts … Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 24 games this season … it was the eighth start of the season for Auguste and the fifth for Vasturia.
– The Fighting Irish are 11-5 at home this season … it’s the first time Notre Dame has had five home losses in a season since the 2005-06 campaign (12-5).
– Notre Dame trailed 27-23 at halftime … the Irish are 3-11 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– Notre Dame is 8-3 this season when wearing white uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 501.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the 18th time this season and the 67th time of his career … has netted double-figures in nine of 11 ACC games.
– Dished out a team-high five assists.
Zach Auguste (So./F)
– Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the sixth time this season (third time in last four games) … has eight career double-figure scoring efforts.
– Shot 5-of-7 from the field.
V.J. Beachem (Fr./F)
– Matched a career-high total with 10 points … also scored 10 against Boston College last Saturday.
Austin Burgett (So./F)
– Returned to the court after missing the last four games due to a medical condition.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Had a game-high 10 rebounds … it’s the sixth time this season and the ninth time of his career that he’s pulled down 10 or more rebounds in a game.
– Scored seven points.
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
– Scored in double-figures (a team-high 17 points) for the second straight game and the 19th time this season (eighth time in ACC play) … has 29 career double-figure scoring efforts (28 while at Notre Dame).
Steve Vasturia (Fr./G)
– Tied a career-high total of five rebounds.