Oct. 4, 2013
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Notre Dame men’s tennis team kicked off day one of the Bobby Bayliss Invitational Friday, Oct. 4 by claiming victory in 11 matches out of the 17 they played. The Irish played both doubles and singles matches against four opposing schools–Michigan State, Cleveland State, Louisville and Western Michigan.
In a close match, junior Dougie Barnard defeated junior Pablo Mora of Western Michigan, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.
Sophomore Kenneth Sabacinski battled to win his second set in a 7-3 tiebreaker, winning the match 6-4, 6-5.
Senior Billy Pecor and freshman Josh Hagar cruised to an easy victory over Western Michigan’s Nadin Indre and Andrew Cahn, 8-2. In an unconventional match, sophomore Eric Schnurrenberger paired up with Cleveland State’s Matt Kuelker to beat Mac Roy and and Will David of Michigan State, 8-5.
Although the Irish had a successful day one of the tournament, assistant head coach Adam Schaechterle says that they’re still looking to improve their play during the rest of the weekend.
“Today we needed to do a little better job dictating our serve when facing opponents and managing our matches,” he said. “We want our players to work with the game structure we have in the pressure moments, reduce the amount of ups and downs in games and execute.”
Day two gets underway at 9 a.m. at the Eck Center.
- Greiner (Western Michigan) d. Pecor (Notre Dame) 6-4, 5-6(7), 6-5(9)
- Sabacinski (Notre Dame) d. Derognat (Louisville) 6-4, 6-5 (7-3)
- Shabib (Cleveland State) d. Dooley (Notre Dame) 6-4, 6-3
- Pfister (Michigan State) d. Hagar (Notre Dame) 6-3, 6-4
- Barnard (Notre Dame) d. Mora (Western Michigan) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
- McCoy (Notre Dame) d. Indre (Western Michigan) 6-1, 6-4
- Covalschi (Notre Dame) d. Brown (Louisville) 6-4, 6-4
- Jadun (Michigan State) d. Schnurrenburger (Notre Dame) 0-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Lawson (Notre Dame) d. Davis (Michigan State) 6-1, 6-4
- Montoya (Notre Dame) d. Cahn (Western Michigan) 6-2, 6-5
- Fredericka (Notre Dame) d. Van der Vloet (Cleveland State) 6-2, 6-5(1)
- Shabib/VanMeter (Cleveland State) d. Lawson/Sabacinski (Notre Dame) 8-5
- Dooley/McCoy (Notre Dame) d. Brown/Derognat (Louisville) 8-4
- Pecor/Hagar (Notre Dame) d. Indre/Cahn (Western Michigan) 8-2
- Simich/Frias (Louisville) d. Barnard/Covalschi (Notre Dame) 8-5
- Kuelker (Cleveland State)/Schnurrenberger (Notre Dame) d. Roy/Davis (Michigan State) 8-5
- Fredericka/Montoya (Notre Dame) d. Shideler/Hamilton (Western Michigan) 8-2
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant