Feb. 15, 2017
By Sinhue Mendoza
ATLANTA – Freshman Erin Sheehan and junior Joe Coumos highlighted another strong effort from Notre Dame in third-day action from the 2017 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships. With seven events remaining in tomorrow’s final day of the women’s championship, the Irish sit in eighth place with 428.5 points.
Erin Sheehan’s school-record time of 52.22 in the 100 butterfly gave the Irish their first medal of the championships. The previous school record was set by Kim Holden in 2013 with a time of 52.57.
Abby Dolan continued her strong freshman year for the Irish following a fourth-place finish in the 200 freestyle with a B-Cut time of 1:44.87. Dolan approached her school-record time of 1:44.65 that she registered Monday as part of the school record-breaking 800 free relay team.
Breaking Her Records
Catherine Mulquin, who set a school record in the 100 backstroke last month at the Shamrock Invitational (52.84), bested that mark on two different occasions Wednesday. She swam 52.82 in the prelims and went faster in the B-final with a time of 52.69.
Meaghan O’Donnell’s time of 1:00.24 was not only good for seventh in the 100 breaststroke but also earned an NCAA B-Cut.
Katie Miller swam a pair of NCAA B-Cut times. She recorded a time of 4:18.36 in the prelims. Miller then bested that effort in the finals (4:15.67) by nearly three seconds. Both times were the senior’s best of the season.
400 Medley Relay
The quartet of Catherine Mulquin, Meaghan O’Donnell, Nicole Smith and Abbie Dolan had another strong effort for the Irish. Their time of 3:34.07 earned fifth-place honors and was good enough for an NCAA B-Cut time.
Joe Coumos had another great day on the springboard. His final score of 398.20 earned him fourth place in the men’s 3 meter dive and garnered points for the men looking ahead to their ACC championships in a couple weeks.
DAY 2 NOTES
- Sofia Revilak recorded an NCAA B-Cut time of 53.65 in the 100 butterfly.
- Lauren Heller added another NCAA B-Cut time in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:47.14.
- Alice Treuth recorded a time of 53.69 in the 100 backstroke prelims. She then clocked a time of 53.31 in the B-Final of the event. Both times were good enough for NCAA B-Cuts.
- Katie Smith swam her best time of the season in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:51.97.
- Rebecca Walton swam her best time of the season in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:53.55.
- Notre Dame collected four NCAA B-Cuts in the prelims of the 100 breaststroke. Meaghan O’Donnell came in at 1:00.13, Sherri McIntee tapped the board in 1:01.70, Danielle Margheret swam 1:01.71 and Alyssa Storino clocked in at 1:01.84.
Notre Dame concludes competition in the 2017 Women’s ACC Championships Thursday. Prelim swimming gets started at 10 a.m. and Irish faithful can follow through the ACC Live Link. The ACC Network Extra will cover the evening finals of the ACC Women’s Swimming Championships on Thursday, February 16.