March 7, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team lost a dogfight of a match to No. 15 Clemson today at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. The Tigers defeated the Irish 5-2, moving Notre Dame to 5-6 on the season.
“Their doubles were very good,” said head coach Jay Louderback. “I felt like we didn’t play badly, they just played really well. I was just happy with the way we battled. I mean, we fought hard. It was a very good match. We started off down, knowing we had to win four singles matches, but the kids fought hard. We just have to play like that all the time.”
Despite Louderback switching up the teams this weekend, the Irish still struggled in doubles. Freshmen Jane Fennelly and Monica Robinson fell on court three to Yuilynn Maio and Jessy Rompies, 8-2. Sophomore Quinn Gleason and senior Britney Sanders kept things close for a while at No. 1 doubles, but ultimately lost to Yana Koroleva and Beatrice Gumulya, 8-4. Seniors Jennifer Kellner and Julie Sabacinski were playing together at No. 2, and their match against Tristen Dewar and Romy Koelzer was left unfinished.
Freshman Mary Closs was the first one off the court for Notre Dame, taking down Miao in straight sets at No. 5, 6-2, 6-3, and tying it up for the Irish. Next off was Gleason on court two, who fell to Koelzer, 6-2, 6-4.
The rest of the matches went to third sets, making this a close match for the Tigers and the Irish. Sophomore Julie Vrabel lost to Rompies, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
Gumulya clinched the match for Clemson in a tight tiebreaker on court three, beating Kellner, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(5).
The remaining two matches on the court-Sanders at No. 1 and Robinson at No. 4-were played to completion. Robinson defeated Dewar, 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-4, and Sanders fell to Koroleva in a heartbreaking third-set tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(6).
Notre Dame will have another quick turnaround this weekend, as they play Florida State on Sunday. The match will start at the Eck Tennis Pavilion at 1 p.m.
1. Yana Koroleva (CU) def. Britney Sanders (ND), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(6)
2. Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Quinn Gleason (ND), 6-2, 6-4
3. Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Jennifer Kellner (ND), 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(5)
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Tristen Dewar (CU), 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Yuilynn Miao (CU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Jessy Rompies (CU) def. Julie Vrabel (ND), 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
1. Yana Koroleva/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND), 8-4
2. Tristen Dewar/Romy Koelzer (CU) vs. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND), 7-4 unfinished
3. Yuilynn Maio/Jessy Rompies (CU) def. Monica Robinson/Mary Closs (ND), 8-2
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant