Jan. 24, 2016
STILLWATER, Okla. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team fell in its second straight match Sunday as No. 27 Arizona State defeated the No. T-32 Irish 4-0 in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Greenwood Tennis Center
The Sun Devils (1-1) took the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 slots. Irish sophomores Brooke Broda and Allison Miller fell to Kassidy Jump and Sammi Hampton 6-3, while juniors Mary Closs and Jane Fennelly lost a 6-2 decision to Desirae Krawczyk and Gussie O’Sullivan. No. 32 senior Quinn Gleason and junior Monica Robinson led No. 39 Ebony Panoho and Alexandra Osborne 5-2 at No. 1, but the match was abandoned.
Notre Dame (1-2) could not get much momentum going in singles, as Arizona State won the first set on all six courts. The Irish began to mount comebacks on three courts in the second set, but the Sun Devils took advantage of the lead and closed out wins on Courts 2, 4 and 6.
Osborne defeated senior Julie Vrabel 6-3, 6-2 at No. 6, Hampton unseated Closs 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 and Jump clinched the victory for Arizona State with a 6-4 6-4 win over Robinson at No. 2. Gleason and Miller picked up leads in the second half, while Broda held serve, but those matches went unfinished.
The Irish will return to the court next Sunday for a doubleheader against No. 58 Illinois (11 a.m. ET) and Bowling Green (5 p.m. ET) at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
No. 27 Arizona State 4, No. T-32 Notre Dame 0
1. No. 57 Quinn Gleason (ND) vs. No. 75 Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) 3-6, 3-1, unfinished
2. Kassidy Jump (ASU) def. Monica Robinson (ND) 6-4, 6-4
3. Allison Miller (ND) vs. Ebony Panoho (ASU), 4-6, 4-1, unfinished
4. Sammi Hampton (ASU) def. Mary Closs (ND) 6-3, 6-3
5. Brooke Broda (ND) vs. Gussie O’Sullivan (ND) 3-6, 2-2, unfinished
6. Alexandra Osborne (ASU) def. Julie Vrabel (ND) 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 32 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND) vs. No. 39 Ebony Panoho / Alexandra Osborne (ASU) 5-2 unfinished
2. Kassidy Jump / Sammi Hampton (ASU) def. Brooke Broda / Allison Miller (ND) 6-3
3. Desirae Krawczyk / Gussie O’Sullivan (ASU) def. Mary Closs / Jane Fennelly (ND) 6-2
Joanne Norell, athletics communications assistant at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2014 and coordinates communications efforts for the Notre Dame women’s soccer, men’s tennis, women’s tennis and fencing programs. Norell is a 2011 graduate of Purdue University and earned her master’s degree from Georgetown University in 2013.