Jan. 31, 2015
University of Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Pitt 76, #8/8 Notre Dame 72
January 31, 2015
Petersen Events Center
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- The setback moved Notre Dame to 20-3 overall and 8-2 in ACC play.
- This was Notre Dame’s first loss this season at a true road site (4-1).
- Notre Dame’s three losses this season have been by a combined 11 points (Providence-1, Virginia-6, Pitt-4).
- Eight of Notre Dame’s 10 ACC games this season have been decided by seven points or less … the Irish are 6-2 in those contests.
- Notre Dame is 6-2 this season in games decided by five points or less.
- Pitt shot 58.5 percent (31-53) from the field … that’s the highest percentage for a Notre Dame opponent this season.
- The Fighting Irish were 26-of-49 (53.1%) from the field … Notre Dame has shot 50 percent or above from the floor in 16 of 23 games this season (four times in ACC play).
- Notre Dame led 38-37 at halftime … the Fighting Irish are 15-2 this season when ahead at the intermission.
- Today was the 60th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Pitt and the second as ACC counterparts … the Fighting Irish lead the series 31-29, but the Panthers have won the last two showdowns … today’s setback snapped Notre Dame’s two-game win streak at Pitt … the Irish are 12-18 all-time at Pitt … head coach Mike Brey is 11-10 versus the Panthers during his Notre Dame tenure.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started today’s contest … the Irish are 18-3 this season with that starting quintet.
- A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 532.
- The Fighting Irish are 5-1 this season when wearing blue uniforms.
- Notre Dame used seven players, which matched a season-low total.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the 18th time this season (seven ACC games) … has 29 career double-digit efforts.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Scored eight points … had his career-best 11-game double-figure scoring streak snapped.
- Made his 105th consecutive start and his 108th career start overall … has played in all 124 games during his Notre Dame career.
- Played all 40 minutes.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (14 points) for the sixth straight game and the 21st time this season (eighth ACC game) … the six-game double-figure scoring streak currently is the longest on the team … has 86 career double-digit efforts.
- Scored all nine points of Notre Dame’s 9-0 run that turned a 71-63 deficit into a 72-71 lead late in the game.
- Had a game-high four steals.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (team-high 15 points) for the fifth straight game … has reached double-figures 20 times this season (nine times in ACC play) and on 27 occasions during his career.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- Netted double-figures (12 points) for the 10th time this season (four ACC games) … has 14 career double-digit performances.