April 18, 2010
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The fifth-ranked Fighting Irish wrapped up the regular season with a 6-1 victory over Marquette Sunday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. With the win, Notre Dame improved to 19-3 on the season, while Marquette falls to 12-13.
The Irish jumped out to a 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles point for the fourth straight match. The third-ranked duo of Kristy Frilling (Sidney, Ohio/Lehman & Abeka) and Kali Krisik (Arkansas City, Kan./Arkansas City) won their 18th straight match with an 8-2 win over Olga Fischer and Maggie Wilson at first doubles. Cosmina Ciobanu (Brea, Calif./Troy) and Shannon Mathews (Birmingham, Mich./Cranbrook-Kingswood) topped Gillian Hush and Paola Calderon, 8-1, at second doubles to earn their fifth win of the season and clinch the point for the Irish.
No. 15 Frilling put the Irish up 2-0 and improved to 17-5 on the season with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Calderon at No. 1 singles. Krisik notched her 13th win with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Strother at fifth singles. Rafael clinched the win for the Irish with her 10th victory of the season, a 6-0, 6-1 win over Wilson at sixth singles.
Ciobanu improved to 19-3 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Hush at fourth singles. No. 119 McGaffigan earned her 15th win of the season with a 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 besting of Barry at No. 3 singles.
Fischer gave the Golden Eagles their only point of the day with a 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 defeat of Mathews at second singles.
The BIG EAST Championship is up next for the Irish. Notre Dame will host the league tournament April 22-25 at the Courtney Tennis Center and Leeper Park.
#5 Notre Dame 6, Marquette 1
1. #15 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Paola Calderon (MU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Olga Fischer (MU) def. Shannon Mathews (ND) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0
3. #119 Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Kelly Barry (MU) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0
4. Cosmina Ciobanu (ND) def. Gillian Hush (MU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kali Krisik (ND) def. Elly Strother (MU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kristen Rafael (ND) def. Maggie Wilson (MU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1,5,6,4,3,2
1. Frilling/Krisik (ND) def. Fischer/Wilson (MU) 8-2
2. Ciobanu/Mathews (ND) def. Calderon/Hush (MU) 8-1
3. McGaffigan/Rafael (ND) def. Barry/Strother (MU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,3