Jan. 31, 2016
By Matthew D’Alonzo `19
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 33 University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team defeated Bowling Green 7-0 in the second match of Sunday’s doubleheader, using momentum from their win against Illinois earlier in the day.
Notre Dame (3-2) claimed the doubles point after wins on Courts 1 and 3. Junior Mary Closs and senior Julie Vrabel gained a 6-1 win on Court 3 over Leeah Floyd and Antonina Farrar. No. 32-ranked Irish doubles team of senior Quinn Gleason and junior Monica Robinson secured the point with a 6-2 win on Court 1 over Emily Witt and Polina Radeva.
In the singles competition, Notre Dame swept Bowling Green, claiming the six possible points. Junior Jane Fennelly quickly delivered Notre Dame’s first singles win with a 6-0, 6-1 decision on Court 6 over Farrar. This was followed quickly by a dominating performance from sophomore Brooke Broda on Court 5, whose 6-0, 6-0 win over Leeah Floyd gave the Irish a 3-0 lead.
Sophomore Allison Miller defeated Witt on Court 3 by a score of 6-2, 6-0, gaining Notre Dame’s third singles point. No. 57 Gleason continued the point streak with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Radeva at the No. 1 slot. Following Gleason was Closs on Court 4, with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Drew Fillis. Monica Robinson closed the door on the match from Court 2, with her 6-4, 6-1 decision over Paula Comella Aguilo sealing the sweep.
About the match, head coach Jay Louderback said, “It’s good to get another win for us. We just get into so many tight, tough matches, so it’s good to play well.” Speaking of the doubleheader, Louderback said, “It’s just good for us to get two wins.”
The Irish will return to the court on February 12 to open the Atlantic Coast Conference slate against Pittsburgh (3:30 p.m. ET) at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
No. 33 Notre Dame 7, Bowling Green 0
1. No. 57 Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Polina Radeva (BG) 6-4, 6-1
2. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Paula Comella-Aguilo (BG) 6-4, 6-1
3. Allison Miller (ND) def. Emily Witt (BG) 6-2, 6-0
4. Mary Closs (ND) def. Drew Filis (BG) 6-4, 6-1
5. Brooke Broda (ND) def. Leeah Floyd (BG) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Antonina Farrar (BG) 6-0, 6-1
1. No. 32 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND) def. Emily Witt / Polina Radeva (BG) 6-2
2. Brooke Broda / Allison Miller (ND) vs. Paula Comella-Aguilo / Drew Filllis (BG) 3-4, unfinished
3. Mary Closs / Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Leeah Floyd / Antonina Farrar (BG) 6-1
Matthew D’Alonzo is a freshman student assistant for Fighting Irish Media, working with Athletics Communications Directors for cross country, track and field, basketball, and tennis. A Computer Engineering/PLS Major, Matthew is from Mobile, Alabama.