April 17, 2015
CLEMSON, S.C. — The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team was unable to score in its final road match of the season as the No. 33 Irish fell to No. 21 Clemson 5-0 on Friday at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center in Clemson, South Carolina.
The Tigers (15-8, 10-4 Atlantic Coast Conference) jumped out to an early lead, grabbing the doubles point with wins on Courts 2 and 3. Jessy Rompies and Yuilynn Miao defeated Notre Dame’s Allison Miller and Julie Vrabel 8-4, while Tristen Dewar and Beatrice Gumulya defeated Mary Closs and Jane Fennelly 8-2 at No. 3.
As the match moved indoors due to rain, Clemson recorded straight-set wins on Courts 1 through 4 for the final tally. No. 36 Romy Koelzer beat Quinn Gleason 6-2, 6-2; No. 59 Gumulya defeated Monica Robinson 6-3, 6-1; No. 24 Joana Eidukonyte upended Vrabel 6-3, 6-0; and Dewar stopped Closs 6-4, 6-3.
Matches on Courts 5 and 6 were not completed.
The Irish (14-8, 8-5 ACC) will return to the Courtney Tennis Center at noon EDT on Sunday for their final match of the regular season against No. 23 Duke. A short ceremony honor this year’s senior class will precede the match. For the latest on all Irish women’s tennis action, follow @NDWomensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Women’s Tennis on Facebook.
No. 21 Clemson 5, No. 33 Notre Dame 0
1. No. 36 Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Quinn Gleason (ND), 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 59 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Monica Robinson (ND), 6-3, 6-1
3. No. 14 Joana Eidukonyte (CU) def. Julie Vrabel (ND), 6-3, 6-0
4. Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Mary Closs (ND) 6-4, 6-3
5. Allison Miller (ND) v. Jessy Rompies (CU), 0-1, unfinished
6. Jane Fennelly (ND) v. Yuilynn Miao (CU), 0-1, unfinished
1. No. 22 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND) v. Romy Koelzer / Joana Eidukontye (CU), 5-6, unfinished
2. Jessy Rompies / Yuilynn Miao (CU) def. Allison Miller / Julie Vrabel (ND), 8-4
3. Tristen Dewar / Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Mary Closs / Jane Fennelly (ND), 8-2
Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant