March 20, 2015
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — The No. 32 University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team pulled out another squeaker against an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent Friday, defeating No. 67 Florida State at the Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee.
The Irish (10-5, 5-2 ACC) owned the doubles point as No. 21 Quinn Gleason and Monica Robinson dominated Daneika Borthwick and Kerrie Cartwright in an 8-0 win at No. 1, while Mary Closs and Jane Fennelly secured an 8-3 victory over Yukako Noi and Mia Vriens at No. 3.
The Seminoles (8-6, 2-4 ACC) however, took a 3-1 lead to start singles as Noi defeated Julie Vrabel, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3 singles; Daniela Schippers felled Fennelly on Court 6, 6-2, 6-3; and Borthwick dropped Gleason, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1.
Miller pulled the Irish back within a point with a breezy 6-2, 6-2 win over Emily Fanning on Court 5, while Robinson stopped a five-match conference losing streak at No. 2 singles with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Cartwright.
Closs closed it out for the Irish after winning a first-set tiebreaker and completed a 7-6(2), 6-3 wom pver Gabriella Castaneda.
The Irish will be back in action at noon EDT on Sunday against Georgia Tech at the Byers Tennis Complex. For the latest on all Irish women’s tennis action, follow @NDWomensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Women’s Tennis on Facebook.
No. 32 Notre Dame 4, No. 67 Florida State 3
1. No. 99 Daneika Borthwick (FSU) def. Quinn Gleason (ND), 6-2, 6-2
2. Monica Robinson (ND) def. No. 89 Kerrie Cartwright (FSU), 7-5, 6-3
3. No. 114 Yukako Noi (FSU) def. Julie Vrabel (ND), 6-3, 6-2
4. Mary Closs (ND) def. Gabriella Castaneda (FSU), 7-6(2), 6-3
5. Allison Miller (ND) def. Emily Fanning (FSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Daniela Schippers (FSU) def. Jane Fennelly (ND), 6-2, 6-3
1. No. 21 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND) def. Daneika Borthwick / Kerrie Cartwright (FSU), 8-0
2. No. 54 Gabriella Castaneda / Emily Fanning (FSU) def. No. 55 Allison Miller / Julie Vrabel (ND), 8-2
3. Mary Closs / Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Yukako Noi / Mia Vriens (FSU), 8-3
Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant