March 10, 2015
TAMPA, Fla. — Perfect conditions greeted the University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team as the Irish cruised to victory over East Carolina Tuesday at Hillsborough Community College in sunny Tampa, Florida.
In the kind of weather fitting of a Spring Break trip, the 28th-ranked Irish (8-4) strolled to a 4-0 win over the Pirates in the morning amid sun and 82-degree temperatures.
No. 21 doubles tandem Quinn Gleason and Monica Robinson rolled by Michelle Castro and Nicole LaDuca 6-1 at No. 1 singles, while Julie Vrabel and Allison Miller defeated Maria Gomez and Neena Wanko in a tiebreaker, 7-6(5), to secure the doubles point.
Robinson and Vrabel also picked up easy wins at Nos. 2 and 3 singles, with Robinson dropping Castro 6-4, 6-0, and Vrabel cruising by Gomez 6-0, 6-4. Mary Closs also scored a win for the Irish, dispatching Sarah Sarjoo 6-0, 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
The weather wasn’t quite so forgiving a few hours south in Fort Myers, where the Irish saw their evening match with Florida Gulf Coast cancelled by a quick storm that left the courts unplayable.
Notre Dame will return to action at 1 p.m. EDT on Friday when they welcome No. 1 North Carolina in a return to Atlantic Coast Conference action. The match will be played either inside the Eck Tennis Pavilion or at the Courtney Tennis Center, weather permitting.
No. 28 Notre Dame 4, East Carolina 0
1. Quinn Gleason (ND) v. Nicole LaDuca (ECU), 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
2. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Michelle Castro (ECU), 6-4, 6-0
3. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Maria Gomez (ECU), 6-0, 6-4
4. Mary Closs (ND) def. Sarah Sarjoo (ECU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Allison Miller (ND) v. Katie Hoch (ECU). 4-6, 5-1, unfinished
6. Jane Fennelly (ND) v. Neena Wanko (ECU) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
1. No. 21 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND) def. Michelle Castro / Nicole LaDuca (ECU), 6-1
2. Allison Miller / Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Maria Gomez / Neena Wanko (ECU), 7-6(5)
3. Molly O’Koniewski / Katherine White (ND) v. Dana Gray / Katie Hoch (ECU), 5-5, unfinished
Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant