March 25, 2018
The No. 26 University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team improved to 11-9 on the season and 3-2 in Atlantic Coast Conference play with a 7-0 victory over Virginia Tech (10-5, 1-5 ACC) at the Eck Tennis Pavilion on Sunday, March 25, 2018.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish claimed the doubles point to start the match behind victories at No. 1 and No. 2. The No. 2 team of Crayson Broadus and Richard Ciamarra defeated Virginia Tech’s Mitch Harper and Carlo Donato 6-5 to earn the first set victory.
The No. 80-ranked team of Brendon Kempin and Tristan McCormick then completed their rally after dropping the first game to win 6-4 – bolstered by two late dominating serves from McCormick.
Notre Dame claimed the match victory behind three quick and decisive victories in the single matches. At No. 3, Richard Ciamarra took out Alexandre Ribeiro 6-0, 6-1 for the initial victory, followed quickly by Grayson Broadus at No. 6 by scores of 6-0 and 6-3.
Mere minutes after the third match point, Guillermo Cabrera secured the match victory with a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles.
At No. 4 singles, Matt Gamble earned a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Carlo Donato to give the Irish their fifth point of the match. Following Gamble’s win, at No. 5 singles Tristan McCormick rallied from a 1-6 first-set loss to take the second set 7-6, then earn the match victory by virtue of a 10-point tiebreaker.
To finish up the match, No. 48 Alex Lebedev defeated No. 53 Mitch Harper 7-5, 3-6, 6-1 to finish off a clean 7-0 sweep for the home team.
There will be a quick break for the Irish before they take on IUPUI at 5 p.m. in the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame
Mar 25, 2018 at Notre Dame, IN
(Eck Tennis Pavilion)
#26 Notre Dame 7, Virginia Tech 0
1. #48 Alex Lebedev (ND) def. #53 Mitch Harper (VT) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
2. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. Jason Kros (VT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Alexandre Ribeiro (VT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Carlo Donato (VT) 7-5, 6-4
5. Tristan McCormick (ND) def. Henrik Korsgaard (VT) 1-6, 7-6, 1-0
6. Grayson Broadus (ND) def. George Cartledge (VT) 6-0, 6-3
1. #80 Brendan Kempin/Tristan McCormick (ND) def. Henrik Korsgaard/Alexandre Ribeiro (VT) 6-4
2. Grayson Broadus/Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Mitch Harper/Carlo Donato (VT) 6-4
3. Matt Gamble/Alex Lebedev (ND) def. Freddy Mesmer/Jason Kros (VT) 6-5
Virginia Tech 10-5, 1-5 ACC
Notre Dame 11-8, 3-2 ACC; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,6,2,4,5,1)