Feb. 23, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 25 University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team fell to No. 4 Ohio State, 7-0, in Saturday action at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Columbus, Ohio.
The Irish fall to 6-5, while the Buckeyes improve to 11-2. Notre Dame returns to action at 3 p.m. next Sunday when it travels to Madison, Wis., for a matchup with the No. 75 Wisconsin Badgers.
Ohio State took the doubles point to claim the 1-0 lead and then clinched the match with wins at five, one and three singles. The Buckeyes were coming off an impressive semifinal finish at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
The Irish didn’t have much luck in the doubles portion of the match, but performed well in a trio of singles contests. Freshman standout Quentin Monaghan turned in a sensational performance at two against No. 2 Peter Kobelt, falling in a third set superset, 14-12. The Chatham, N.J., native dropped the first set 6-3, before taking the second, 7-5. With the match already decided, the two individuals went into a third set superset to decide the winner. Kobelt came out on top, 14-12, after Monaghan battled the highly-ranked Buckeye to the very end.
1. #62 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #71 Greg Andrews (ND) 6-4, 6-1
2. #2 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (14-12)
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Blas Moros (ND) 6-2, 6-2
4. #37 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Billy Pecor (ND) 6-4, 6-4
5. #30 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Wyatt McCoy (ND) 6-0, 6-4
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Michael Moore (ND) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. #36 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Greg Andrews/Spencer Talmadge (ND) 8-3
2. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. #55 Billy Pecor/Alex Lawson (ND) 8-3
3. Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Matt Dooley/Quentin Monaghan (ND) 8-4
Notre Dame 6-5; National ranking #25
Ohio State 11-2; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,1,3,4,6,2)