Feb. 15, 2015
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team suffered an upset loss Sunday to No. 52 Indiana at the IU Tennis Center in Bloomington.
The 20th-ranked Irish won the doubles point, but dropped three straight singles matches, allowing the Hoosiers to corral momentum en route to a 4-3 win.
Notre Dame got off to a great start in the doubles portion of the match, winning all three pro-sets to take a lead into singles play. No. 14 Quinn Gleason and Monica Robinson handily defeated Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyczek, 8-2; Allison Miller and Julie Vrabel handed Alecia Kauss and Kim Schmider an 8-5 setback; and Mary Closs and Jane Fennelly dropped Shannon Murdy and Stephanie Smith, 8-5.
Indiana picked up two quick points in singles play, though, as Murdy beat Vrabel, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 3 singles, and Smith defeated Fennelly, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 6. On Court 4, Closs took a one-set lead after the first, but fell in three sets to Paula Gutierrez, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, and the Hoosiers held a 3-1 lead.
Miller pulled the Irish back within one, defeating Sarah Baron, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2, on Court 5, leaving matches on Courts 1 and 2. Gleason and Robinson took their matches to three sets, but Robinson fell to Kauss 7-6, 6-1, 6-3, sealing the win for the Hoosiers, before Gleason secured a marathon comeback win over Klyczek, 4-6, 7-6(3), 7-6(6), at the top of the lineup.
Notre Dame will continue road play when they head to Louisville and Pittsburgh next weekend to begin Atlantic Coast Conference action. The Irish will face the Cardinals at 4 p.m. ET Friday, and head back north to take on the Panthers at 11 a.m. ET Sunday. For all the latest updates on the Irish, be sure to follow @NDWomensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Women’s Tennis on Facebook.
No. 52 Indiana 4, No. 20 Notre Dame 3
1. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Katie Klyczek (IU), 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(6)
2. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Monica Robinson (ND), 6-7(3), 6-1, 6-3
3. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Julie Vrabel (ND), 6-2, 6-2
4. Paula Gutierrez (IU) def. Mary Closs (ND), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
5. Allison Miller (ND) def. Sarah Baron (IU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Stephanie Smith (IU) def. Jane Fennelly (ND), 6-1, 6-2
1. No. 14 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND) def. Carolyn Chupa / Katie Klyczek (IU), 8-2
2. Allison Miller / Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Alecia Kauss / Kim Schmider (IU), 8-5
3. Mary Closs / Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Shannon Murdy / Stephanie Smith (IU), 8-5
Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant