April 15, 2007
MILWAUKEE – The No. 2 Notre Dame women’s tennis team closed the regular season with a 7-0 drubbing of BIG EAST foe Marquette Sunday afternoon at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium. The Irish improve to 23-2 on the season, while the Golden Eagles drop to 11-14.
After cruising through doubles, Notre Dame took a 1-0 lead into singles action and did not miss a beat. The Irish captured all six singles matches and did so in convincing fashion.
Sophomore Kelcy Tefft (Enid, OK) recorded a “double-bagel” for the second consecutive day. She turned the task on Dominika Dabrowski, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4.
Senior Catrina Thompson (Las Vegas, NV) and freshman Kali Krisik (Arkansas City, KS) each cruised past their respective opponents at No. 1 and No. 6 respectively, dropping only a total of three games. Thompson disposed of Beba Calbeto, 6-1, 6-2, while Krisik breezed past Francina Bonnelly, 6-3, 6-0.
Senior Christian Thompson (Las Vegas, NV) and freshman Colleen Rielley were nearly as impressive at No. 2 and No. 4. Thompson knocked off Robin Metzler, 6-2, 6-2. Rielley had little difficulty getting past Shannon Brown, 6-1, 6-3.
Sophomore Katie Potts (Brookfield, WI) was pushed in her opening set at No. 5 against Elly Strother, before winning 7-6 in a tiebreaker, but Potts coasted in the second set, 6-2.
Notre Dame exposed Marquette in each of the three doubles matches. The eighth-ranked Thompson twins routed Brown and Calbeto, 8-1, at No. 1. Freshman Cosmina Ciobanu (Brea, CA) and Rielley registered an identical 8-1 victory over Bonnelly and Margaret Wilson at No. 2. Krisik and freshman Bailey Louderback (South Bend, IN) were quite impressive at No. 3 with an 8-3 triumph over Andrea Bukacek and Kathleen Donovan.
The Irish will play at the BIG EAST Championships this week in Tampa, Fla. Play gets underway on Thursday.
#2 NOTRE DAME 7, MARQUETTE 0
1. Catrina Thompson (ND) def. Beba Calbeto (MU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Christian Thompson (ND) Def. Robin Metzler (MU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Colleen Rielley (ND) def. Shannon Brown (MU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Dominika Dabrowski (MU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Katie Potts (ND) def. Elly Strother (MU) 7-6, 6-2
6. Kali Krisik (ND) def. Francina Bonnelly (MU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Thompson/Thompson (ND) def. Brown/Calbeto (MU) 8-1
2. Ciobanu/Rielley (ND) def. Bonnelly/Wilson (MU) 8-1
3. Krisik/Louderback (ND) def. Bukacek/Donovan (MU) 8-3
— ND —