Feb. 14, 2015
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team went on the road and picked up an important non-conference victory, defeating No. 47 Michigan 5-2 on Saturday at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The 16th-ranked Irish (6-1) claimed the doubles point with a pair of 6-3 wins on Courts 2 and 3. No. 17 Josh Hagar and Eddy Covalschi defeated Kevin Wong and Runhao Hua, and Quentin Monaghan and Eric Schnurrenberger dropped Davis Crocker and Tyler Gardiner.
The Irish harnessed the momentum and won the the first three singles matches to secure the win. No. 29 Monaghan made quick work of Alex Petrone at No. 1 singles, notching a 6-4, 6-1 win. Head coach Ryan Sachire hailed Monaghan’s dominating performance to highlight the excellent play of the junior in the top spot of the lineup.
“Quentin Monaghan was a double winner (at doubles and singles) and that singles match was a just dominating performance for him,” Sachire said. “(Alex Petrone) has been a dominating player in our region and for Quentin to do what he did on the road is indicative of the high level he’s playing at right now.”
The rest of the Irish lineup played took the Wolverines (1-5) to three sets, as Covalschi and Schnurrenberger rallied from a first-set setback to take their opponents the distance before ultimately falling short. At No. 2 singles, No. 92 Hagar went up a set over Michael Zhu in the first but lost the second in a tiebreaker before ultimately winning the third-set tiebreaker in the final match left for a 6-4, 7-6(6), 1-0(10-6) victory.
“We’re really happy to come out of here with the win,” Sachire said. “(Michigan has) a very talented team and coaching staff and we knew it was going to be a close match. I don’t know if it was the best match we’ve played, but we learned some lessons and we’re happy to have those lessons learned while getting in the win column.”
The Irish return to action at noon ET next Saturday when they head to Columbus, Ohio, to take on No. 8 Ohio State. For the latest Irish tennis updates, follow @NDMensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Men’s Tennis on Facebook.
No 16 Notre Dame 5, No. 47 Michigan 2
1. No. 29 Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Alex Petrone (UM), 6-4, 6-1
2. No. 92 Josh Hagar (ND) def. Michael Zhu (UM), 6-4, 6-7(6), 1-0(10-6)
3. Runhao Hua (UM) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Alex Knight (UM) def. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
5. Billy Pecor (ND) def. Kevin Wong (UM), 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
6. Nicolas Montoya (ND) def. Davis Crocker (UM), 6-4, 6-4
1. No. 4 Alex Lawson / Billy Pecor (ND) leading Alex Petrone / Michael Zhu (UM), 4-3, unfinished
2. No 17 Josh Hagar / Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Kevin Wong / Runaho Hua (UM), 6-3
3. Quentin Monaghan / Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Davis Crocker / Tyler Gardiner (UM), 6-3
By Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant