Feb. 3, 2008
DURHAM, N.C. – The 11th-ranked Notre Dame men’s tennis squad defeated the 15th-ranked Duke Blue Devils on Sunday afternoon, defeating the Blue Devils, 4-3, in Durham, N.C. The Irish handed Duke only its second loss of the season, as Notre Dame improved its season dual-match record to 5-1.
It would be in the singles action that the Irish would comeback to take over the match for the victory. Daniel Stahl earned the first singles win for Notre Dame, defeating Christopher Price, 6-2, 6-4. Stahl’s point would bring the Irish to within one, 1-2, with the first singles match going to Duke.
Following Stahl, Stephen Havens earned the next point for Notre Dame, beating out Arnould, 6-4, 6-4, for the point. Haven’s win would even the team scores, 2-2. The next point went to Duke, but that would be its last with Notre Dame taking the final two matches for the win.
Sheeva Parbhu and David Anderson earned the final two points for the Irish for the win. It would go down to the final match with Anderson to clinch the tight win. Parbhu defeated Kiril Dimitrov, 7-5, 6-4, while Anderson beat out Jared Pinsky, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, for the comeback win.
The Irish now have back-to-back wins over Duke in an all-time series that favors the Blue Devils. Notre Dame defeated Duke a year ago, 6-1. After today’s Irish victory, the series record improves to 6-15, with head coach Bobby Bayliss’ record against Duke improving to 6-10.
#11 Notre Dame 4, #15 Duke University 3
Feb 03, 2008 at Durham, N.C.
1. David Goulet (DU) def. #11 Brett Helgeson (UND) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Sheeva Parbhu (UND) def. Kiril Dimitrov (DU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Reid Carleton (DU) def. Andrew Roth (UND) 6-1, 6-0
4. Stephen Havens (UND) def. Dylan Arnould (DU) 6-4, 6-4
5. David Anderson (UND) def. Jared Pinsky (DU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Daniel Stahl (UND) def. Christopher Price (DU) 6-2, 6-4
1. David Goulet/Christopher Price (DU) def. Brett Helgeson/Sheeva Parbhu (UND) 9-7
2. Reid Carleton/Kiril Dimitrov (DU) def. Stephen Havens/Andrew Roth (UND) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Santiago Montoya/Tyler Davis (UND) def. Dylan Arnould/Alex Stone (DU) 8-5
Notre Dame 5-1; National ranking #11
Duke University 2-2; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,4,1,2,5)