March 27, 2013
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team dropped a hard-fought 5-2 home decision to No. 10 Michigan Wednesday inside the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Michigan (12-3) claimed the early advantage in the match after taking the doubles point, winning two of the three matches during the opening portion. The No. 2 ranked team of Emina Bektas and Brooke Bolender defeated No. 76 Jennifer Kellner and Chrissie McGaffigan 8-4 at the first doubles court to give the Wolverines the edge. Michigan clinched the doubles win when No. 49 Sarah Lee and Ronit Yurovsky downed No. 52 Britney Sanders and Julie Sabacinski in a competitive 8-6 tilt at the No. 2 court.
Michigan upped its lead to 2-0 at the No. 1 singles court, as the 29th ranked Bektas defeated No. 48 Sanders 6-1, 6-1 in straight sets. The Wolverines extended the cushion to 3-0 after Yurovsky was victorious at second singles. The No. 39 player in the country stopped Kellner 6-2, 6-3.
Gleason picked up the first Notre Dame (11-6) point of the match with a win over No. 76 Lee at the No. 3 singles court. Gleason took the first set 6-3, then needed a 9-7 tiebreaker in the second to close out Lee 6-3, 7-6 (9-7). The win was Gleason’s second over a ranked opponent this season.
Zhu ultimately outlasted Katherine White at six singles after bouncing back from a 6-3 deficit following the first set. Zhu took the second frame 6-4 before clinching the team match for Michigan with a 6-0 closing set.
McGaffigan battled back from a 6-3 loss in the first against Bolender to square their match with a 7-5 second set. Bolender held on in the third to take the contest 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.
Molly O’Koniewski battled back from the wrong end of a 6-3 decision in her first set against Nguyen, claiming the second set 6-4. The Irish sophomore closed out the win 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Notre Dame travels to Tulsa Saturday for a 12 p.m. (CT) non-conference match.
No. 10 Michigan 5, No. 16 Notre Dame 2
March 27, 2013
Eck Tennis Pavilion
Notre Dame, Ind.
1. Emina Bektas (UM) def. No. 48 Britney Sanders (ND) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 39 Ronit Yurovsky (UM) def. Jennifer Kellner (ND) 6-2, 6-3
3. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. No. 76 Sarah Lee (UM) 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Brooke Bolender (UM) def. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
5. Molly O’Koniewski (ND) def. Mimi Nguyen (UM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Amy Zhu (UM) def. Katherine White (ND) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. No. 2 Bektas/Bolender (UM) def. No. 76 Kellner/McGaffigan (ND) 8-4
2. No. 49 Lee/Yurovsky (UM) def. No. 52 Julie Sabacinski/Sanders (ND) 8-6
3. Julie Vrabel/Gleason (ND) def. Nguyen/Zhu (UM) 8-6
Michigan 12-3; National ranking #10
Notre Dame 11-6; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,6,4,5)
T – 3:43 A – 204