Feb. 18, 2003
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Eight members of the 2002 Notre Dame football squad have been invited to the National Football League’s Combine Timing and Testing sessions to be held Feb. 20-24 at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, Ind.
Invited Irish players are:
- Wide receiver Arnaz Battle (caught 58 passes for 786 yards and five touchdowns in ’02, for most receptions in a season by an Irish player since Tom Gatewood set the single-season record with 77 in 1970; an ’02 Irish captain-elect) from Shreveport, La.
- Offensive tackle Jordan Black (four-year regular made 43 career starts) from Rowlett, Texas.
- Offensive tackle Brennan Curtin (17 career starts) from Palm Beach, Fla.
- Center Jeff Faine (first-team All-American in ’02 by The Sporting News; Rimington Award finalist and Lombardi Award semifinalist; 35 career starts) from Sanford, Fla.
- Fullback Tom Lopienski (29 career starts, 64 career carries for 205 yards) from Hudson, Ohio.
- Offensive guard Sean Mahan (’02 Irish captain-elect, 25 career starts) from Tulsa, Okla.
- Safety Gerome Sapp (’02 Irish captain-elect, 71 tackles and four interceptions in ’02, 17 career starts) from Houston, Texas.
- Cornerback Shane Walton (unanimous first-team All-American in ’02, Nagurski Award finalist, elected ’02 team MVP, ’02 Irish captain-elect, 68 tackles and seven interceptions in ’02) from San Diego, Calif.