March 19, 2015
University of Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
NCAA Championship Â· Second Round
#8/8 Notre Dame 69, Northeastern 65
March 19, 2015
CONSOL Energy Center Â· Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- The win improved Notre Dame to 30-5 this season … the 30 wins are the second-most in program history (33-7 in 1908-09)
- The Fighting Irish are making their 34th all-time appearance in the NCAA Championship and their first since 2013 … Notre Dame improved to 32-37 all-time in the tournament … this was Notre Dame’s first win in the NCAA Championship since a 69-56 second-round victory over Akron in 2011.
- The Fighting Irish improved to 7-9 in the NCAA Championship under head coach Mike Brey (10 appearances) … Notre Dame is 6-4 in opening-round games under Brey.
- Today was the second meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Northeastern … the Irish have won both encounters … the first meeting was a 72-45 Irish victory on Nov. 25, 1997 at Notre Dame.
- Notre Dame is 13-3 this season in games played away from home (7-2 road/6-1 neutral) … the 13 wins away from home are tied for the third-most in program history and they are tied for the most under Mike Brey (the 2001-02 squad went 13-7 in such contests).
- The Fighting Irish had an assist on 19 of their 27 made field goals (.704) … it was the ninth time this season Notre Dame had at least 19 assists in a game.
- Notre Dame only committed seven turnovers … the Irish have committed less than 10 turnovers in 19 games this season.
- Notre Dame is 8-3 this season in games decided by five points or less.
- The Fighting Irish shot 57.4 percent (27-47) from the field … it was the 23rd time this season Notre Dame shot 50 percent or above from the floor.
- Notre Dame was 2-of-6 from three-point range … the two treys matched a season low for the Irish.
- Northeastern was 3-of-11 from three-point range … the three makes tied a season low for a Notre Dame opponent.
- Notre Dame’s 17 rebounds were a season low.
- Notre Dame led 31-27 at halftime … the Fighting Irish are 24-2 this season when ahead at the intermission.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started today’s contest … the Irish are 28-5 this season with that starting quintet.
- A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 544.
- Only four members of the Fighting Irish roster (Zach Auguste, Austin Burgett, Pat Connaughton, Jerian Grant) came into today’s contest with NCAA tournament experience … those four players had combined for six games played and 39 points in the NCAAs prior to today … they combined for 51 points in today’s contest.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Netted a game-high 25 points … it was the fourth time this season (and career) that he tallied 20 or more points in a game (first since Florida State on Dec. 13).
- Reached double-figures in points for the second straight game and the 26th time this season … has reached double-digits in points 37 times during his career.
- His 25 points were the most for a Notre Dame player in an NCAA tournament game since Torin Francis netted 25 against Arizona in the 2003 regional semifinals.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Made his 117th consecutive start and his 120th career start overall … has played in all 136 games during his Notre Dame career.
- Moved into a tie with Tory Jackson (2006-10) for career games played at Notre Dame (136).
- Played all 40 minutes … has played every minute in five games this season.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (17 points) for a team-best 32nd time this season … has reached double-digits in each of the last 10 games, which is the longest active streak on the team … has reached double-figures 97 times during his career.
- Played all 40 minutes … has played every minute in nine games this season.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Dished out a career-high (and game-high) eight assists … those were the most assists for a Notre Dame player in an NCAA tournament game since (current assistant coach) Martin Ingelsby had nine versus Xavier in the first round of the 2001 tournament.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- His four steals matched a career-high mark that he’s achieved two other times this season.
NCAA TOURNAMENT NOTES
- This is the 25th basketball game ever played at the Consol Energy Center and seventh NCAA Tournament game
- The No. 3 seed is now 103-18 all-time vs. the No. 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament
- This was the second meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Northeastern. Notre Dame now leads the series 2-0
- Notre Dame is now 32-37 all-time in the NCAA Tournament
- Notre Dame is now 6-1 this season when competing at a neutral site
- Notre Dame is now 24-2 this season when leading at the half
- Head coach Mike Brey now holds a 7-9 NCAA Championship record during his Notre Dame tenure
- Today’s win marked only the second time in program history Notre Dame reached 30 wins in a single season. The school record for wins is 33-7 (.825) set in 1908-09
- Senior Pat Connaughton tied Tory Jackson (2006-10) for first place in games played during a Notre Dame career with 136
- Junior Zach Auguste’s 25 points marked the fifth time this season and in his career he’s recorded 20-plus points.
- The last Notre Dame player to record 25-plus points in an NCAA Tournament game was Torin Francis (25) versus Arizona on March 27, 2003.
- Notre Dame is now 17-2 when one of its players scores 20-plus points.
- Sophomore Demetrius Jackson’s eight assists are a new season and career high. His two blocks tied his season high
- Senior Jerian Grant’s 17 points marked the 32nd time he’s recorded double-digit points in a game this season and the 97th time in his career
- Northeastern is now 3-8 all-time in the NCAA Tournament
- Northeastern is now 0-3 all-time as a No. 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament
- Junior David Walker now has double-digit points in 12 straight games with 15 points today