NCAA regulations permit the University to employ its student-athletes as counselors in camps and clinics in all sports except for football. The NCAA rules (See Bylaw 13.13.2) which govern this area include, but are not limited to:
- Prior written approval of the student-athlete’s employment arrangement must be received by the Director of Athletics
- Currently enrolled student-athletes may not participate as campers in any Notre Dame camps or clinics.
- Student-athletes who only lecture or demonstrate at a camp may not receive compensation for his or her appearance at the camp.
- Student-athletes’ compensation must be comparable to the going rate for all the camp counselors of similar ability and experience.
- All earnings from summer camp must be at a rate of pay that is comparable with the going rate, in that locale, for the work performed.
- Student-athletes employed at camps must perform duties that are supervisory in nature. Coaching and officiating cannot account for more than 1/2 of a student-athlete’s work time.
- Transportation to and/or from a camp may not be provided unless it is provided to all employees.
- In sports other than football, student-athletes may be employed as counselors in camps and there is no limit on the number of student-athletes who may be employed in an institutional or non-institutional (privately owned) camp.
- The student-athlete(s) shall not participate in organized practice activities other than during the institution’s playing season in that sport.
- Student-athletes may not receive any benefits or privileges that are not provided to all employees (e.g., meals, cars, entertainment at home, vacations, etc.).
- In the sport of football, a member of Notre Dame’s squad may be employed in a football camp other than the University of Notre Dame’s camp, provided not more than one football student-athlete from the same Division I institution is employed.
Prospective Student-Athletes & Summer Camps:
- Prospective student-athletes remain “prospects” until the first day of classes.
- Prospects may not be employed in any way at a University of Notre Dame summer camp.
- Prospects may participate as campers at the University of Notre Dame summer camps. Exception: In the sport of football, a senior prospect shall not be permitted to enroll, participate or be employed at any such sports camp or clinic.
- Notre Dame student-athletes, Notre Dame coaching staff and/or representatives of the athletics interests may not provide any material assistance (e.g., a place to stay, rides meals, etc.) to any prospective student-athletes, even if the prospective student-athletes have signed a National Letter of Intent to attend the University of Notre Dame.