BUFFALO, N.Y. — University of Notre Dame defenseman Bobby Nardella earned Second Team (West) CCM/AHCA All-America honors, as announced at the 2019 Frozen Four.
The senior recently signed a two-year, entry level contract with the Washington Capitals beginning with the 2019-20 season.
Nardella led the Irish in scoring as a senior by scoring eight goals and adding a team-best 26 assists for 34 points. He was the first defenseman in program history to lead the Irish in scoring.
Part of the first class in program history to reach the NCAA tournament in all four seasons, Nardella scored the extra-attacker goal to force overtime in Notre Dame’s eventual 3-2 NCAA Northeast Regional semifinal win over Clarkson (March 30).
Nardella becomes the 15th All-American in program history (16 All-America honors) and the third in the last three years, joining Cale Morris (First Team/West, 2017-18) and Anders Bjork (Second Team/East, 2016-17). He is the sixth defenseman in program history to earn All-America honors.
A Rosemont, Illinois, native, Nardella was a key member of the Notre Dame blue line over the last four seasons, helping the Irish to Frozen Four appearances in 2017 and 2018. He also helped secure the 2017-18 Big Ten regular season championship and the 2018 and 2019 Big Ten tournament titles.
A First Team All-Big Ten selection in 2018-19, Nardella finished his Irish career as the fifth-leading scorer among Notre Dame defensmen with 103 career points on 24 goals and 79 assists. He was the 54th player in program history to record at least 100 career points.
Nardella is a political science major in the College of Arts and Letters and is set to graduate in May.
AS A SENIOR
• Named an alternate captain prior to the start of the season.
• Opened the year with a career-high three assists versus Mercyhurst in Notre Dame’s 6-6 tie (Oct. 12).
• Sealed the Ice Breaker Championship with Notre Dame’s third goal in the 3-0 win over then No. 4/5 Providence (Oct. 13).
• Had a career-high five points in Notre Dame’s 8-2 win at Omaha with two goals and three assists.
• One of his goals came as the Irish were killing off a 5-on-3 Omaha power play for his first career shorthanded goal.
• Had a pair of assists to help the Irish to a 5-1 win over RPI (Nov. 30).
• Had a goal and two assists to help lead Notre Dame to a 6-4 win at Wisconsin (Jan. 18).
• Also had two assists in Notre Dame’s 6-3 win over Michigan State (Jan. 25).
• Scored the game-tying goal with three minutes left in the third period in Notre Dame’s eventual 1-1 tie versus Michigan State on Jan. 26 (Irish went in to secure the additional Big Ten point in the shootout).
• Notched his 100th career point with an assist in the regular-season finale versus Penn State to become the 54th Irish skater to reach 100 points (seventh defenseman).
• Missed the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal series versus Michigan State (March 8-9).
• One of two defensemen to earn First Team All-Big Ten Honors (March 18).
• Scored the extra attacker goal and added an assist in Notre Dame’s 3-2 overtime win against Clarkson to send the Irish to the NCAA Northeast Regional Final (March 30).
• Named to the 2019 NCAA Northeast Regional All-Tournament Team (March 31).