NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The No. 11 Notre Dame men’s tennis team improved their record to 7-1 and remain undefeated in the Atlantic Coast Conference following their 6-1 win over Boston College Friday afternoon.
The Irish led all three courts in doubles with Grayson Broadus and Matthew Gamble finishing first by a score of 6-1 to give the team an edge.
In their first outing as a tandem in 2019, Guillermo Cabrera and William Howells claimed the first Irish point with a 6-3 victory in doubles three.
Assisting in the doubles point, Gamble finished first in singles, taking his singles match with a couple of 6-2 scores. Axel Nefve then put the Irish up by three as he claimed the first two sets in No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-4.
Broadus tallied the game-winner as he finished a nail biting singles, third, by a score of 6-2, 7-5 for the fourth point of the match.
McCormick and Howells added to the Irish lead, both winning their singles matches. McCormick won the tiebreaking third 10-8 while Howells played out his set, taking six games to none to wrap the afternoon session.
No. 11 Notre Dame hosts Ball State later this evening in their final match of a six game homestand which saw the Irish go 4-1 thus far.
The Irish will return to the court next week in Chicago, Illinois as they compete at the ITA National Indoors for the second consecutive year.
#11 Notre Dame 6, Boston College 1
1. Derek Austin (BC) def. Richard Ciamarra (ND) 6-7, 6-1, 10-8
2. Axel Nefve (ND) def. Markus Nordby (BC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Tristan McCormick (ND) def. Max Mendelsohn (BC) 6-4, 6-7, 10-8
4. William Howells (ND) def. Conor Mullins (BC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
5. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Alexander Chieffalo (BC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Grayson Broadus (ND) def. Wills Tutecky (BC) 6-2, 7-5
1. Richard Ciamarra/Tristan McCormick (ND) vs. Derek Austin/Sean Mullins (BC) 5-2, unfinished
2. Grayson Broadus/Matt Gamble (ND) def. Max Palmer/Markus Nordby (BC) 6-1
3. Guillermo Cabrera/William Howells (ND) def. Conor Mullins/Wills Tutecky (BC) 6-3