NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The No. 14 Irish welcomed Atlantic Coast Conference foe, No. 2 Wake Forest Demon Deacons, to town for a Friday afternoon matchup. In the end, the visitors walked away with the 6-1 victory as Guillermo Cabrera clinched the lone Irish point on the day.
The Irish fell down a point early as the Demon Deacons took the doubles point with a series of 6-2 victories on courts two and three. Court three finished first as Wake Forest earned the advantage.
The Notre Dame duo on court two lost their set to the 26th-ranked doubles pair of Bar Botzer and Alan Gadjiev while court one’s Grayson Broadus and Matt Gamble held their Wake Forest opponents, the 61st-ranked team in the nation, to a close 3-4 set score before abandoning the match.
The Demon Deacons swept the first set in singles, however freshman Axel Nefve put up a fight in No. 1 singles as he and No. 50 Gojo went to the tiebreak (7-6(5)).
Guillermo Cabrera came back strong in the second set to force a third set breaker as he posted a 6-4 win in set two. After falling down 5-1, Cabrera stormed back in the break set, winning six games straight to go up 7-5. He and 22nd-ranked Botzer battled it out, trading games as Cabrera ultimately won the third set 10-8 to earn a 1-6, 6-4, 10-8 match win.
The Irish return home on Sunday, March 24 for a double header against NC State and Toledo. The first match is set to get started at noon as the Irish welcome an ACC rival to the court. They will then take on the Toledo Rockets at 5 p.m.
#2 Wake Forest 6, #14 University of Notre Dame 1
1. #50 Borna Gojo (WF) def. Axel Nefve (ND) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
2. #3 Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. Matt Gamble (ND) 6-2, 6-3
3. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. #22 Bar Botzer (WF) 1-6, 6-4, 10-8
4. Rrezart Cungu (WF) def. William Howells (ND) 6-4, 7-6
5. Siddhant Banthia (WF) def. Grayson Broadus (ND) 6-1, 6-2
6. #79 Melios Efstathiou (WF) def. Paul Gota (ND) 6-2, 6-3
1. #61 Borna Gojo/Alan Gadjiev (WF) def. Grayson Broadus/Matt Gamble (ND) 4-3
2. Petros Chrysochos/Bar Botzer (WF) def. Paul Gota/Axel Nefve (ND) 6-2
3. Siddhant Banthia/Julian Zlobinsky (WF) def. Guillermo Cabrera/William Howells (ND) 6-2
Wake Forest 20-3; National ranking #2
University of Notre Dame 10-9; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,5,6,1,3,4)