NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The No. 13 Fighting Irish men’s tennis team recorded their sixth straight victory Sunday night as they defeated the Jaguars of IUPUI, 5-2.
The Irish claimed five singles in straight sets with Johnathan Small leading the pack. He tallied the first point for the Irish after earning 6-2 and 6-1 set victories.
Matthew Gamble took the second point for the Irish with 6-2, 6-0 victories on court two. Axel Nefve finished up singles one with a 6-2 victory in his second set to put Notre Dame within one of a win.
The team secured their sixth straight victory and second of the day when Guillermo Cabrera won his fourth straight set Sunday with a pair of 6-2 scores. He gave the Irish the 4-0 lead and eventual win.
Paul Gota extended the Irish lead with a series of 6-2 sets to give the team a 5-0 lead heading into doubles.
The doubles teams split with Paul Gota and Johnathan Small taking court one 6-3 while Conor Somers and Andrew Mariados dropped a tight one by a score of 4-6.
The Irish return to action with a midweek matchup, Wednesday (February 6), against #15 Illinois.
The Irish conclude their home stretch with a double header next Friday, February 8, facing Boston College at 3:30 p.m. and Ball State at 7 p.m.
#13 Notre Dame 5, IUPUI 2
1. Axel Nefve (ND) def. Alex Jochim (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
2. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Sean Bailey (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-0
3. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) def. Grayson Broadus (ND) 3-6, 6-3, 12-10
5. Paul Gota (ND) def. Bradley Luetschwager (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
6. Johnathan Small (ND) def. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Paul Gota/Johnathan Small (ND) def. Alex Jochim/Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-3
2. Bradley Luetschwager/Kyle Whittaker (IUPUI) def. Conor Somers/Andrew Mariados (ND) 6-4
3. Sean Bailey/Ethan Mardanus-Budio (IUPUI) def. Grayson Broadus/Matt Gamble (ND), by default