Aug. 10, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame men’s swim team sent six current members to compete at the Phillips 66 National Championships this past week, held Aug. 6-10 in San Antonio, Texas at Northside Swim Center. Joining them was class of 2014 alumnus Frank Dyer, who swam with the North Baltimore Aquatic Club team.
“We achieved some good results during the competition,” says head coach Matt Tallman. “We will look to achieve additional Olympic Trial cuts in some manner during the next 10 months. The guys should be proud of their results here in San Antonio; they have put themselves in a great position heading into our collegiate season. We have some lofty goals for the winter, and they took the first step towards achieving those goals with the meets this summer.”
While Dyer placed in two A-finals throughout the five-day meet, equally as impressive were the 10 Olympic Trial cut-times achieved by Tom Anderson, Justin Plaschka, Rob Whitacre and Matt Grauslys. Anderson earned his times swimming in the 400 IM (4:25.66 in prelims, 4:25.34 in time trial), 200 IM (2:04.79 in time trial) and the 100 back (57.13), while Whitacre qualified in the 200 back (2:03.74). Plaschka also qualified in the 100 back (57.06) in addition to the 50 free (22.90 in time trial) and 100 fly (54.71 in time trial), while Grauslys qualified in both the 100 (54.49) and 200 fly (2:01.03). Plaschka’s time in the 100 fly set a Jamaican record as well.
Other notable finishes included a Nationals A-cut by junior Trent Jackson in the 100m breast (1:03.79) and top performances from incoming freshman Grauslys (50m free, 24.02), Whitacre (100m back, 57.82), and junior Kevin Bradley (200m Fly, 2:02.62). Below is a full breakdown of results from Irish swimmers:
– 400m Free, Frank Dyer: 3:52.58 (8th, prelims), 3:54.90 (6th, “A” Final); both Olympic Trials times.
– 400m IM, Kevin Bradley: 4:32.01 (63rd); Tom Anderson: 4:25.66 (34th, prelims); Anderson earned Olympic Trial cut.
– 200m Free, Frank Dyer: 1:48.64 (3rd, prelims), 1:48.47 (5th, “A” Final); Trent Jackson: 1:53.60 (77th, prelims)
– 100m Back, Justin Plaschka: 57.06 (T-61st, prelims); Tom Anderson: 57.13 (68th, prelims); both swam Olympic Trial cuts.
– 200m Fly, Matt Grauslys: 2:01.03 (36th, prelims); Olympic Trial cut
– 100m Fly, Justin Plaschka: 54.97 (59th, prelims); Matt Grauslys: 54.49 (43rd, prelims); Grauslys earned Olympic Trial cut
– 200m Back, Tom Anderson: 2:04.05 (49th, prelims); Rob Whitacre: 2:03.74 (42nd, prelims); Whitacre earned Olympic Trial cut
Time Trial Results
– 50m Free, Justin Plaschka: 22.90 (Olympic Trial cut); Matt Grauslys: 24.02 (B-cut)
– 100m Back, Rob Whitacre: 57.82 and 57.35
– 200m Fly, Kevin Bradley: 2:02.22 and 2:02.62
– 100m Breast, Trent Jackson: 1:04.34 (B-cut) and 1:03.79 (A-cut)
– 400m IM, Tom Anderson: 4:25.34 (Olympic Trial cut)
– 100m Fly, Justin Plaschka: 54.71 (Olympic Trial cut, broke Jamaican record)
– 200m IM, Tom Anderson: 2:04.79 (Olympic Trial cut)
– by Lizzie Mikes, media services coordinator