No. 7 Notre Dame and No. 10 Virginia will face off at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, Nov. 25 in the NCAA Championships at Alumni Stadium for a chance to play in the quarterfinal round next weekend. The match will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra via the WatchESPN app.
No. 7 NOTRE DAME vs. No. 10 VIRGINIA – NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS ROUND OF 16
Location: Notre Dame, Indiana | Alumni Stadium
Live Stream: ACC Network Extra
Live Stats: Click Here
Twitter Updates: @NDMenSoccer
Game Notes: vs. Virginia
THE IRISH IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS
• Notre Dame is playing in its 21st NCAA Championship in 2018 and have played in the tourney in 17 of the last 18 seasons.’
• The Irish have an overall record of 18-18-3 in the NCAA Championships.
• Notre Dame has earned a top 16 national seed 13 times, including this season’s No. 7 seed
• The Irish have advanced to the round of 16 on 10 occasions and have made three quarterfinals.
• Notre Dame won the National Championship in 2013, defeating Maryland by a score of 2-1 to capture the title.
• The Irish played against 2018 NCAA Championship participants in 11 of 18 matches in the regular season and ACC Championship matches.
THE VIRGINIA SERIES
• The Irish and Cavaliers will meet on the pitch for the 15th time on Sunday evening.
• The Irish trail in the series with a mark of 3-7-4.
• Notre Dame has played Virginia at home six times, posting a record of 3-2-1. The Irish and Cavaliers played to a 1-1 draw at Alumni Stadium last season on Sept. 29, 2017.
• The most recent matchup in the series came earlier this season at Virginia on Oct. 23, resulting in a 0-0 draw after 110 minutes.
• The Irish and Wolverines had a marathon shootout to determine who advanced to the round of 16 at Alumni Stadium on Nov. 18.
• Notre Dame knocked out Michigan by winning the penalty kicks 11-10 after 12 rounds.
• Impressively, all 24 attempts between the two sides were on target.
• Irish goalkeeper Duncan Turnbull made two impressive diving saves to deliver Notre Dame the win.
• Seniors Sean MacLeod and Felicien Dumas each converted two kicks from the spot, with the one from Dumas sending the Irish on to the round of 16.
KEEP IT CLEAN
• The Irish defense has been stingy as of late, allowing just one goal over its last five matches, spanning 490 minutes of play.
• Notre Dame has allowed just eight shots on goal over the last four contests.
• Junior goalkeeper Duncan Turnbull is 5-1-2 on the season, allowing just three goals in over 740 minutes of play and posting five shutouts.
UELAND IN FORM DOWN THE STRETCH
• Senior forward Thomas Ueland is playing his best soccer of the season entering the postseason.
• Ueland is tied for the team lead in goals for the season with six.
• Four of the senior’s six goals have come in the last seven matches.
• Ueland’s latest goal came in the regular-season finale at Pitt, as the senior scored the only goal of the match in the 85th minute to give the Irish the 1-0 victory.
QUICK OUT OF THE GATE
• The Irish have been excellent in the first 45 minutes of matches this season, as the team has not trailed in any of its 19 matches at the halftime break.
• Notre Dame has outscored the opposition by a combined mark of 11-2 in the first halves of matches.
• The Irish have kept a clean sheet in the first half in 18 of 19 matches in 2018, with the only blemish coming at Duke in a match that was level at 2-2 at the break.
THE SKIPPER DOES IT ALL
• Senior center back Patrick Berneski has had an impressive senior season after earning the captain armband prior to the 2018 campaign.
• Berneski has scored in six of 19 matches this season, tying for the team lead with six goals.
• The senior’s six goals are the most scored this season by any ACC defender in 2018.
• Thirteen of the 29 Irish goals scored this season have come from set pieces.
• Patrick Berneski has done the bulk of the damage, scoring six set-piece goals, five of which were headers.
• Another notable set-piece goal came from a sublime Felicien Dumas free kick that proved to be the game winner against Syracuse.
• Senior Sean MacLeod is 2-for-2 in scoring from the spot this season for the Irish.
• Dumas has supplied the assist in five of the set-piece goals in 2018.