The Irish host Virginia Tech for their regular season home finale at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, Oct. 19. The match will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra via the WatchESPN app.
THE VIRGINIA TECH SERIES
• The Irish and Hokies will meet on the pitch for the ninth time on Friday evening.
• The Irish lead the series with a mark of 6-1-1.
• Notre Dame has played just three matches at Alumni Stadium, going 3-0-0 when playing at home.
• The most recent matchup in the series came last season in Blacksburg on Sept. 22, resulting in a 2-1 victory for the Hokies.
• The Irish are honoring eight seniors on Friday evening after the match against the Hokies.
• The seniors to be honored are Ian Aschieris, Patrick Berneski,Sean Dedrick, Felicien Dumas, Ryan Krutz, Sean MacLeod, Blake Townes and Thomas Ueland.
• All eight seniors have played a large role in Notre Dame’s success this season, all logging heavy minutes.
THE SKIPPER DOES IT ALL
• Senior center back Patrick Berneski has had an impressive senior season after earning the captain armband prior to the 2018 campaign.
• Berneski has scored in six of 13 matches this season, leading the team with six goals.
• The senior’s six goals are the most scored this season by any ACC defender in 2018.
• Over the last four seasons the Irish have recorded 42 wins, reaching double-digit win totals each year, and have qualified for the NCAA Championship every season.
• Eleven of the 24 Irish goals scored this season have come directly from set pieces.
• Patrick Berneski has done the bulk of the damage, scoring six set-piece goals, five of which were headers.
• Another notable set-piece goal came from a sublime Felicien Dumas free kick that proved to be the game winner against Syracuse.
• Senior Sean MacLeod is 2-for-2 in scoring from the spot this season for the Irish.
• Dumas has supplied the assist in five of the set-piece goals in 2018.
MACLEOD MAKES HIS MARK
• Senior forward Sean MacLeod has been in form over the last few weeks, scoring the first four goals in his collegiate career this season, all coming in the last four matches.
• MacLeod netted his first score in the 3-0 win over Northwestern and then scored from the spot in overtime to defeat then No. 6 Louisville.
• In Notre Dame’s most recent outing, the senior scored from the spot in what proved to be the match winner in the 68th minute at No. 18 Michigan.
• The senior is tied for second on the team in goals (4) and points (10) this season.
• A key to the recent Irish success has been the spark the subs have given the Irish, particularly in the attack.
• Six of Notre Dame’s 14 goals in the last six outings have come off the bench.
• Thomas Ueland, Jack Lynn, Aiden McFadden, Paul Rothrock and Sean MacLeod (2x) have each found the back of the net in the stretch.
• The goals from McFadden (vs. Boston College), Rothrock (at Northwestern) and MacLeod (Louisville & Michigan) proved to be the match winners.
• Of Notre Dame’s 24 goals scored, 16 have come in the second half or overtime this season.
• All three of Notre Dame’s goals in the wins at Syracuse and Northwestern came in the final 45 minutes of play.
• Just as impressive, the Irish defense has given up just two goals in the opening 45 minutes of matches this season, both coming against #17 Duke (Oct. 12).