NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Notre Dame (13-11, 3-8 ACC) continued their stretch of home dominance against Georgia Tech (11-13, 3-8 ACC), taking a 69-59 victory at the Purcell Pavilion. The Irish remain unbeaten against the Yellow Jackets when playing at home in ACC play, improving to 5-0.
The Irish were led by T.J. Gibbs, who scored 18 of his season-high 20 points in the second half to push the Irish past the Yellow Jackets. D.J. Harvey also had a strong performance, scoring 18 points and grabbing eight rebounds as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The first half was a defensive showdown as both teams struggled to make shots. However, Notre Dame started to heat up towards the end of the half, hitting six of their last nine shots to close the deficit to 25-24 at halftime. D.J. Harvey had an efficient start to the game, scoring seven points on 3-of-4 shooting.
The second half saw the Irish come out firing, opening the half on a 9-2 run that allowed their lead expand to five. They would never give that lead up for the rest of the game thanks to their tenacity when attacking the rim. Notre Dame got to the line often and converted its chances when they got there, shooting 20-of-23 from the charity stripe in the second half. A thunderous Nikola Djogo dunk on a fast break with 45 seconds left in the game sealed the win for the Fighting Irish.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Gibbs had a monstrous second half, scoring 18 of his 20 points in the second frame. He also filled the stat sheet in other ways, grabbing five assists, three rebounds and four steals. This marked his season high for points.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
Notre Dame dominated the offensive glass, racking up an impressive 20 offensive rebounds in the game. They managed to convert on their opportunities as well, scoring 20 second chance points to Georgia Tech’s seven.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish improve to 7-5 against the Yellow Jackets in ACC play in the series history.
- Mooney completed his ACC-best 15th double-double of the season and the 16th of his career with a 11-point, 14-rebound performance.
- Mooney finished with 14 rebounds, which marks the 17th time he has tallied at least 10 boards this year.
- Harvey finished with 10-plus points for the 14th time this season, scoring 18 on the evening.
- Harvey pulled down a season-high eight boards in the victory.
- Gibbs scored 10 or more points for the 17th time during his junior campaign, finishing with a season-high 20 points against Georgia Tech.
- Hubb posted 10-plus points for the ninth time this season, chipping in 13 points against the Yellow Jackets.
Notre Dame hits the road for a contest at No. 3/3 Virginia at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, Feb. 16. The game will air on Raycom.
To purchase tickets Notre Dame men’s basketball tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —