March 27, 2015
University of Notre Dame Men’s Basketball NCAA Championship
- Midwest Regional Semifinal #3 seed Notre Dame 81, #7 seed Wichita State 70 March 26, 2015 Quicken Loans Arena
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Notre Dame has advanced to the Elite Eight for the first time since 1979 … it is the sixth regional final appearance all-time for the Fighting Irish.
- The win improved Notre Dame to 32-5 this season … the 32 wins are the second-most in program history (33-7 in 1908-09).
- Notre Dame improved to 6-10 all-time in the regional semifinals … this was Notre Dame’s first Sweet 16 appearance since 2003 (an 88-71 loss to Arizona).
- Notre Dame moved to 34-37 all-time in the NCAA tournament (34 appearances) … the Fighting Irish are 9-9 in the NCAA Championship under head coach Mike Brey (10 appearances).
- This was the third meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Wichita State and the first since Jan. 10, 1991 … the Irish lead the series 2-1.
- Notre Dame is 15-3 this season in games played away from home (7-2 road/8-1 neutral) … the 15 wins away from home are the second most in program history (24-6 in 1908-09).
- The Irish shot 75.0 percent (18-24) from the floor in the second half … that matched the best shooting half for Notre Dame during the Mike Brey era.
- The Fighting Irish shot 55.6 percent (30-54) from the field for the game … it was the 24th time this season Notre Dame shot 50 percent or above from the floor.
- Wichita State was 3-of-18 from three-point range … the three makes tied a season low for a Notre Dame opponent.
- Notre Dame led 33-30 at halftime … the Fighting Irish are 26-2 this season when ahead at the intermission.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started today’s contest … the Irish are 30-5 this season with that starting quintet.
- A three-pointer from Demetrius Jackson in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 546.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Netted double-figures (15 points) for the 27th time this season.
- Was 6-of-6 from the field … it was the fourth time this season he was perfect from the field (min. 5 attempts)
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Notched his team-best ninth double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds … it was the 16th double-double of his career.
- Became the first Notre Dame player to record a double-double in an NCAA tournament game since the first round of the 2010 tournament (Carleton Scott vs. Old Dominion).
- Posted a double-digit point total for the 26th time this season.
- Made his 119th consecutive start and his 122th career start overall … has played in all 138 games during his Notre Dame career … the 138 games played is first in Notre Dame history.
- Played all 40 minutes … has played every minute in six games this season (twice in NCAA tournament).
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Dished out a game-high 11 assists … it was the sixth time this season (10th of his career) that he had 10 or more assists in a game.
- The 11 assists were the second-most ever for a Notre Dame player in an NCAA tournament game.
- Played all 40 minutes … has played every minute in 11 games this season, including all three NCAA tournament games.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Netted a team-high 20 points … it was the fourth time this season he’s scored 20-plus points in a game.
- Was 4-of-5 from three-point range … the four treys tied a career high.
- Scored in double-figures for the second straight game and the 30th time this season.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (15 points) for the second straight game and the 20th time this season.