NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Notre Dame (10-5, 0-5 ACC) suffered a 72-62 defeat to Syracuse in its ACC home opener on Saturday afternoon inside Purcell Pavilion. The loss is just the second home defeat of the season for the Irish.
Junior guard T.J. Gibbs paced the Irish in scoring with 18 points. Other Notre Dame players to end the game in double figures were John Mooney (14 points and 14 rebounds) and D.J. Harvey (11 points).
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish offense was prepared to the Syracuse zone, as Notre Dame built an early 10-point lead at 20-10 with 13 minutes left in the frame. The Irish connected on eight of its first 12 shots from the floor to gain the advantage. The Orange chipped away at the deficit and managed to grab a 37-35 lead in the final minute of the half, however, Nate Laszewski drained a corner three at the buzzer to send the Irish into the break with a one-point lead at 38-37.
The Orange scored the first nine points of the second stanza to take a 46-38 lead, its largest of the game. Notre Dame was able to cut the Syracuse lead to just two points on multiple occasions but were unable to regain the lead. The Orange staved off the comeback attempts throughout the second half and went on to win by a final score of 72-62.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Gibbs tied his career high in three-point makes for a game with six against the Orange. The junior’s 18 points were the most of any Irish player. The guard also led the team in assists with five on the afternoon.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
For the seventh time this season Mooney recorded a double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds. The junior’s seven double-doubles are the most of any player in the ACC this season.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish recorded an assist on 80 percent of its makes on Saturday (16-of-20).
- For the seventh time this season Notre Dame recorded at least seven blocks in a game, as the team finished with seven on the afternoon.
- Mooney produced his team and ACC-best seventh double-double of the season with 14 points and 14 rebounds. The junior now has eight in his career.
- Durham blocked three shots and has now notched three or more blocks in 10 games this season. The junior leads the ACC in blocks with 46 on the season.
- For the 13th time this season and 47th time in his career, Gibbs finished in double figures with 18 points.
- Harvey poured in 11 points, notching his 10th game this season and 14th game in his career with 10-plus points.
Notre Dame is back in action inside Purcell Pavilion at noon ET on Saturday, Jan. 12, as the Irish host Boston College in an ACC tilt. The game will air on RSN.
To purchase tickets Notre Dame men’s basketball tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —