NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Notre Dame (11-10, 1-7 ACC) dropped an 83-61 decision to No. 2/2 Duke (18-2, 7-1 ACC) in Purcell Pavilion on Monday night.
Junior John Mooney led the Irish with 14 points and 11 rebounds, notching his seventh consecutive double-double and ACC-best 13th of the season. Freshman Prentiss Hubb and junior T.J. Gibbs also scored in double figures, tallying 13 and 12 points, respectively. Junior Nikola Djogo added seven points and six rebounds off the bench.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish fell behind 26-7 at the 10:36 mark of the first half but went on a 7-0 run, capped off by a Hubb three-pointer to make the score 26-14 to cut Duke’s lead to 12 points. Four minutes later, the Blue Devils answered with a 10-0 run to go ahead 42-23 with 2:12 left on the clock. The Irish trailed 46-28 at the half, led by Hubb’s eight points and Mooney’s six boards at the break.
Notre Dame maintained a similar margin throughout the second half. Djogo sparked the offense early in the period with a three-pointer at the 18:20 mark to make it 48-31, but the Irish were unable to gain momentum, and Duke answered with a pair of scores to go ahead 53-32. Harvey hit a pair of jumpers to make the score 66-47 and trail by 19 with 8:31 remaining, but the Irish were unable to close the gap any further, eventually falling 83-61.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Hubb scored 13 points in the contest, marking the seventh time this season that he has scored in double figures. He added three rebounds and a team-high four assists.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
Mooney (14 points, 11 rebounds) completed his seventh consecutive double-double, continuing to lead the ACC with 13 on the season.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish finished with nine turnovers, the 11th time this year that they have committed fewer than 10 in a game.
- Mooney completed his ACC-best 13th double-double of the season and the 14th of his career with a 14-point, 11-rebound performance.
- Mooney finished with 11 rebounds, which marks the 15th time he has tallied at least 10 boards this year.
- Gibbs finished with 10-plus points for the 15th time this season, scoring 12 on the evening.
- Hubb posted 10 or more points for the seventh time this season, chipping in 13 points against the Blue Devils.
- Djogo tied his season high for rebounds with six and tied his career-high for blocks with two.
Notre Dame hits the road this weekend, as the team travels east to face Boston College at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, Feb. 2. The matchup will be broadcast on RSN.
To purchase tickets Notre Dame men’s basketball tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —