NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Notre Dame (1-0) opened the 2018-19 season in fashion on Tuesday evening inside Purcell Pavilion, posting a dominant 84-67 victory over the University of Illinois at Chicago (0-1) in a game that is part of the Gotham Classic.
The Irish were very balanced on the offensive end on Tuesday, as five players finished in double figures. Freshman Nate Laszewski led the team with 12 points while fellow freshman Robby Carmody added 11. D.J. Harvey, John Mooney and Dane Goodwin each added 10 points in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Notre Dame got to the line early and often in the first half against UIC, as the Irish connected on as many free throws as the Flames had points with 23. Notre Dame jumped out to an early 10-point lead at 16-6 and never looked back. The Irish methodically increased their advantage throughout the opening 20 minutes of play and took a 46-23 lead into the halftime break.
Notre Dame showed no signs of letting up in the second stanza, as it extended its lead to as many as 36 points at 76-40 with less than nine minutes left in the game. The Irish went on to win by a final score of 84-67.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
Laszewski made an immediate impact in his Irish debut against the Flames, scoring 12 points on 3-of-7 shooting from the floor and 5-of-6 from the free-throw line. The freshman also led the team in rebounds on the evening with nine boards.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
The Irish were nearly flawless from the free-throw line on Tuesday, finishing 36-of-38 (94.7 percent) from the stripe. The Irish connected on 23-of-24 free throws in the first half, setting a record for most free throws made in the first half of a game during the Mike Brey era.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- Notre Dame improves to 19-0 during the Brey era and 96-18 all-time in season openers.
- The Irish are now 19-0 in home openers under Brey and 103-11 all time in home openers.
- Notre Dame is 1-0 against UIC in the all-time series and is now 45-3 under Mike Brey in games featuring first-time program meetings.
- With the Gotham Classic victory, Notre Dame has won nine straight games in in-season tournaments.
- Notre Dame set the record for most free throws made in a first half during the Brey era on Tuesday with 23 makes from the stripe.
- The Irish bench outscored the Flames bench 39-13 on the evening.
- Notre Dame outrebounded UIC 51-35.
- Junior Juwan Durham posted a game-high six blocks in his Irish debut.
- Freshman Robby Carmody earned a start in the first game of his collegiate career.
- Five Irish players played their first official game at Notre Dame on Tuesday evening, as junior Juwan Durham and freshmen Robby Carmody, Dane Goodwin, Prentiss Hubb and Nate Laszewski each saw action in the win.
Notre Dame has a quick turnaround, as it hosts Chicago State at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, Nov. 8 inside Purcell Pavilion. The game will air live on ACC Network Extra via the WatchESPN app.
To purchase tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —