NOTRE DAME – Notre Dame (8-3) returned to Purcell Pavilion after a three-game road swing and dispatched of Binghamton by a final score of 69-56. With the win the Irish improve to 7-1 in games played at home this season.
The Irish were led by a pair of big men on Tuesday, as juniors Juwan Durham and John Mooney each posted double-doubles. Durham finished with a career-high 16 points and 12 rebounds while Mooney posted 12 points and 12 rebounds. Junior T.J. Gibbs also ended the game in double figures with 16 points in the winning effort.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams struggled to find ay rhythm in the first 20 minutes on the offensive end, as the Irish held a 25-21 lead over the Bearcats at the break. Durham was the difference maker off the bench, scoring six points and adding six rebounds and two blocks in nine minutes of play.
Binghamton scored the opening bucket of the second stanza to cut the Irish lead to two at 25-23 but Notre Dame’s offense kicked into gear and reeled off 12 straight points to take control of the game at 37-23. The Irish lead never dipped below seven points the rest of the way and the team went on to win by a final score of 69-56.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Juwan Durham played his best game in an Irish uniform on Tuesday evening, recording the first double-double of his career with 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead Notre Dame to the win. Durham set career highs in both points and rebounds and also blocked a game-high four blocks and added two steals.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
For just the third time in head coach Mike Brey’s Notre Dame tenure the Irish opponent did not make a single free throw, as Binghamton finished 0-for-2 from the stripe. On the other end the Irish went 14-for-20 to help the team win.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish improve to 2-0 against Binghamton in the all-time series.
- Two Notre Dame players finished with double-doubles for the first time this season, as Durham (16 points, 12 rebounds) and John Mooney (12 points, 12 rebounds) each accomplished the feat.
- Mooney’s double-double was his sixth of the season and seventh of his career. The junior’s six double-doubles lead the ACC.
- For the eighth time this season and 16th time in his career, Mooney finished in double figures in the points column.
- Durham finished with 10-plus points for the third time this season.
- Durham blocked four shots and has now notched three or more blocks in six games this season. The junior leads the Irish with 28 blocks on the season.
- For the ninth time this season and 43rd time in his career, Gibbs finished in double figures with 16 points.
- Prentiss Hubb recorded a career-high seven assists on Tuesday.
- Nate Goodwin earned the first start of his Notre Dame career.
The Irish have a quick turnaround, as they host Jacksonville in Purcell Pavilion at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, Dec. 20 in their final game before Christmas. The game will air on ACC Network Extra via the WatchESPN app.
To purchase tickets Notre Dame men’s basketball tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —