July 24, 2017
The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team will be wrapping up its series of summer workout this week, allowing the (some of) the players to return home for a rest before the 2017-18 school year begins.
Not all the Irish student-athletes will have an extended break. Senior Martinas Geben is currently making an effort to join the Lithuanian Student National team and compete in the World University Games. Graduate student Austin Torres and junior Rex Pflueger will soon head to Spain with the East Coast All-Stars.
That is not the only news for the Fighting Irish from the past month. Here is a full run down of a busy month of June and July on the Notre Dame Men’s Basketball news front:
Under Armour All-America Camp:
Seniors Bonzie Colson and Matt Farrell were invited to the Under Armour All-America Camp at Philadelphia University from July 20-22, 2017. The camp was an opportunity for skill development as well as an early look at 21 of the top collegiate players in the nation for NBA scouts. Both Colson and Farrell turned some heads at the event –
Notre Dame’s Bonzie Colson scores regardless of who is covering him. Creates just enough space with long arms… https://t.co/AByommr1eY
– Paul Biancardi (@PaulBiancardi) July 20, 2017
Not a surprise that Bonzie Colson was the most consistently productive guy here. Outside jumper was falling, post-ups, offensive glass.
– Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) July 21, 2017
Ethan Happ is one of the best defenders in America and he has no answers for Bonzie Colson, who has the entire arsenal working today.
– Rob Dauster (@RobDauster) July 21, 2017
Watching college guys scrimmage now at Under Armour camp here in Philly. Matt Farrell could give Bonzie Colson a run for ND’s MVP next year.
– Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) July 21, 2017
NEW: On the cusp of what could be a big senior year, Matt Farrell got in front of NBA scouts last week at UA Camp https://t.co/EiY1wbrImR
– Josh Newman (@Joshua_Newman) July 24, 2017
Maui Jim Maui Invitational:
On Tuesday, July 18, the 2017, the Maui Jim Maui Invitational field was announced. Notre Dame will kick off the tournament against Chaminade –
– Notre Dame MBB (@NDmbb) July 18, 2017
Martinas Geben Back In Lithuania And Heading To China:
Senior Martinas Geben is in strong contention for a spot on the Lithuanian Student National Team that will compete at the World University Games late this summer. Geben also was the subject of an informative piece from ACCSports.com on his efficiency while in the Irish lineup –
Bonzie Colson isn’t the only productive Notre Dame post player – Martinas Geben is rather good, too: https://t.co/r73NBFYl51
– ACCSports.com (@ACCSports) July 9, 2017
East Coast All-Stars:
As mentioned above, Austin Torres and Rex Pflueger will be members of the East Coast All-Stars tour of Spain this summer and will be coached by Hall of Famer Larry Brown.
For the first time in program history, Notre Dame released its non-conference schedule before the full schedule is complete. This season’s non-conference slate is highlighted by challenging road contests including at DePaul, Delaware and Michigan State along with a neutral site matchup with Indiana.
Open Practice –
Notre Dame held an open practice for the media on July 6, 2017, and are a number of features and profiles to come out of that event:
Geben knows what his role will be next season ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ Austin Torres went one-on-one with WSBT’s Pete Byrne ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ Gregory, most recently an NABC Honors Court selection, is now on full scholarship ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ Pflueger is ready to accept an increased role in the offense ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ Juwan Durham embracing his opportunity this season.
Coach Brey –
Irish head coach Mike Brey has his eyes set on some key career milestones this season.
- With 382 wins at Notre Dame, he is 12 away from establishing the school record for men’s basketball coaching victories.
- With 481 career victories (at Notre Dame and Delaware), Brey is closing in on 500 career coaching victories. He would become the 23rd active Division I coach with 500 career wins.
- With 382 wins at Notre Dame, Brey is closing in on 400 career wins as head coach of the Fighting Irish. Currently, there are only 10 Division I coaches with 400 or more wins at their current school.
17 years ago (on Friday) ND hired Coach Mike Brey.
– The Fighting Irish (@FightingIrish) July 15, 2017
Coach Brey also was recently a guest on Irish Sports Daily Power Hour.
Fighting Irish Alumni News –
– Z.A. (@ZachEliAuguste) July 20, 2017
And thank you to @NewcastleEagle and all the fans. Newcastle was a second home for me. Thank you all for making me feel so welcome.
– Scott J Martin (@sjmartin14) July 20, 2017
The Sacramento Kings will sign Jack Cooley to a two-way contract, according to a report. https://t.co/OvTHhsuoLW
– Sacramento Now (@TLNSacramento) July 23, 2017