April 7, 2013
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team dropped a heartbreaking 4-3 dual decision to Memphis Sunday at the Courtney Tennis Center.
At sixth singles, Memphis’ Caroline Wegner defeated Katherine White 6-1, 6-4. The No. 36 Tigers (16-4) also picked up a singles win at the No. 2 court after Tiffany Welcher swept Quinn Gleason 6-3, 6-1, taking a commanding 3-0 match lead in the process.
Irish starter Chrissie McGaffigan, playing her final career home match on Senior Day, tallied her 14th singles win of the season with a 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 triumph over Skylar Kuykendall at the No. 4 singles court. McGaffigan’s victory gave No. 21 Notre Dame (12-8) its first point of the day (3-1).
Jennifer Kellner won the second straight singles match for the Irish with her 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 defeat of Liza Tymchenko at the No. 2 court to draw within one point at 3-2.
The Irish picked up a huge singles win on court No. 1, as No. 48 Britney Sanders defeated No. 34 Courtney Collins 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4. The third consecutive Notre Dame victory squared the overall team score at 3-all.
The outcome of the dual match was decided at the fifth singles court. Alyssa Hibberd and Molly O’Koniewski split the first two sets of their match, with each set needing a tiebreak. In the third and final frame, Hibberd took a 5-4 lead and was able to withstand a gritty performance by O’Koniewski to win the set and the match 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (4-7), 6-4.
Playing at the number one doubles position, the 76th ranked duo of McGaffigan and Kellner cruised to an 8-3 victory over No. 51 Collins and Gray to claim the first doubles point of the match for Notre Dame.
After trailing 1-5 at one point in the match, No. 52 Julie Sabacinski and Sanders made a valiant comeback to cut the deficit to 5-7. However, the Tigers’ No. 2 pairing of Hibberd and Welcher ultimately earned an 8-5 victory.
Following a hard-fought battle, No. 64 Stefanie Mikesz and Wegner were able to hold off Gleason and Julie Vrabel 9-7 at third doubles to secure the first team point of the match.
Notre Dame travels to Orlando, Fla., April 13 at 2 p.m. for a non-conference contest against Central Florida.
No. 36 Memphis 4, No. 21 Notre Dame 3
April 7, 2013
Courtney Tennis Center
Notre Dame, Ind.
1. No. 48 Britney Sanders (ND) def. No. 34 Courtney Collins (MEM) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4
2. Tiffany Welcher (MEM) def. Quinn Gleason (ND) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Liza Tymchenko (MEM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
4. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Skylar Kuykendall (MEM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
5. Alyssa Hibberd (MEM) def. Molly O’Koniewski (ND) 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (4-7), 6-4
6. Caroline Wegner (MEM) def. Katherine White (ND) 6-1, 6-4
1. No. 76 Kellner/McGaffigan (ND) def. No. 51 Kelly Gray/Collins (MEM) 8-3
2. Hibberd/Welcher (MEM) def. No. 52 Julie Sabacinski/Sanders (ND) 8-5
3. No. 64 Stefanie Mikesz/Wegner (MEM) def. Julie Vrabel/Gleason (ND)9-7
Memphis 16-4; National ranking #36
Notre Dame 12-8; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,4,3,1,5)
T – 4:45 A – 103