PLYMOUTH, Mich. — Notre Dame freshman forward Landon Slaggert has been named to the 2021 U.S. National Junior Team that will compete in the upcoming 2021 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship, USA Hockey announced today (Dec. 12).
Including Slaggert, 23 Notre Dame players have now taken part in the IIHF World Junior Championships.
The event is set to take place from Dec. 25, 2020 through Jan. 5, 2021 in Edmonton, Alberta. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the tournament will be played with all 10 teams in a competition bubble and no spectators at Rogers Place. Team USA opens play on Christmas Day vs. Russia. All U.S. contests will be televised live on NHL Network. For Team USA’s complete schedule, click here.
Slaggert played six contests for the Irish before heading to Team USA’s pre-tournament camp last Sunday. He scored his first collegiate goal last Friday (Dec. 4) in the first period of Notre Dame’s 5-4 comeback win over Arizona State.
Notre Dame At The IIHF World Junior Championship
- Last season, current juniors Jake Pivonka and Spencer Stastney became Notre Dame’s 21st and 22nd players to take part in the prestigious tournament when they skated for Team USA at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship (Czech Republic).
- Prior to Pivonka and Stastney, former Irish captain and current Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Andrew Peeke was the last Irish player to make Team USA’s World Junior Championship roster (2018).
- Peeke was also the last Irish player to earn a medal at the event by helping the U.S. secure bronze in Buffalo in 2018.
- Notre Dame’s other medalists include Anders Bjork (bronze in 2016), Mario Lucia (gold in 2013), Kyle Palmieri (gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011), Kyle Lawson (bronze in 2007) and Ben Simon (silver in 1997).
Next Up For The Irish
- #15 Notre Dame hosts #14/RV Ohio State for a pair of nationally-televised contests on NBCSN this weekend (Dec. 12-13).
- Saturday’s contest is set for 7 p.m. ET before the Irish and Buckeyes close their weekend series at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday.
- The Irish then wrap up the first half of their 2020-21 schedule with a pair of home contests against Michigan State next weekend (Dec. 19-20).
- Next Saturday’s contest is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and next Sunday’s tilt is slated for 5 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Chicago & Philadelphia.